Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electromagnetic waves detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

xda_xdi

Hi all,

I am currently doing my final year project which is "mineral discrimination using electromagnetic waves". My idea is to build the electromagnetic waves detector that can receive the electromagnetic waves which had been manipulated by conductivity property of a mineral.

Since electromagnetic waves have the property of frequency, I plan to build the frequency detector that can convert the electromagnetic waves with certain frequency value to respective DC voltage value. From the variation of DC voltage produced at the output, I can classify each DC voltage value to respective mineral. I have gone through the forums that discuss about frequency detector circuit. One of the circuit provided by bacterozoid at this link
Frequency Detector Broken Remote

and the other circuit provided by trikebuilder at this link
**broken link removed**

I plan to use the circuit provided by bacterozoid for my electromagnetic waves detector circuit with a little bit modification on butterworth filter part. I plan to have cut off frequency larger than 400Hz. For the input to the circuit posted by bacterozoid, I plan to replace it with either electromagnetic waves input or radio frequency input instead of audio input. According to bacterozoid, if I want to receive electromagnetic waves as the input, I need to hook an antenna at the input. But there might be the possibility that the circuit does not work at all since bacterozoid's circuit is spesifically designed for frequencies in the audible range (under 2KHz). The possibility of circuit failure might be occur due to those electromagnetic waves which are higher in frequency. :(

I am quite confused now :confused:. Can anyone help me with my project? Or can anyone suggest on how to build electromagnetic waves detector? Can I just proceed with the frequency detector as I mentioned before?
Thank you very much for any help :D

As the so called 'frequency detector' looks to be nothing but a fuzz box circuit for a guitar, I fail to see how it would help you in any way?.

The other is just a crystal set radio.

Nigel, are you suggesting that the two renowned scientists Dr. Trikebuilder and Dr. Bacterozoid don't know their stuff? :)

As the so called 'frequency detector' looks to be nothing but a fuzz box circuit for a guitar, I fail to see how it would help you in any way?.

The other is just a crystal set radio.

Can you or anyone suggest any idea that would help me in my project?
The due date for the project is in two month time :(

Got to give him at least some credit for searching and coming up with some ideas before he posted, anyways.

xda, as others have alluded to, you will probably need to take your project a different route. Those links you posted, including mine, will not work for what you want to do. See if this link helps you any: **broken link removed**

Try searching on "metal detector circuits". Look for ones with discrimination.

Pro Tip: they don't work worth a damn. At best they give you a little indication if it's more ferrous or not, but NONE of them can tell gold from aluminum.

The "frequency detector" takes tones from a bass guitar, filters out frequencies above 400Hz then squares them for a guitar tuner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back