Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic Piston Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbarue

If I wanted to get 2 coils to resonate at alternated times and use the back emf of one to help energize the other.
How would I go about doing this?
Sort of a teeter toter effect.
I want to make a 2 cylinder electromagnetic piston engine.
I figure on using positive AC cycle to run the one
and the negative AC cycle the run the other.
Then use some form of diode configuration to harness the back emf.
Each coil must be totally demagnetized again for each cycle.

Last edited:
It sounds like he wants to build an electrical reciprocating engine.

I don't see the point, just use an electric motor like everyone else, it's much more efficient, quieter and reliable.

Sounds to me too like he wants a reciprocating coil gun in which the "projectile" is a piston. I suspect it is just to make a gadget out of curiosity and not for any use.

So, I would suggest he read about coil guns and solenoids. With a simple design, it seems one could alternate solenoids and get rotation for a crankshaft. One could even get rid of the crank and put the pistons on a cam (e.g., dynacam design).

Capturing the back emf to run the other piston seems unnecessarily complex and superfluous.

John

Last edited:
Just use back-EMF diodes - when the power is disconnected from the coil, the current will slowly decay and keep powering the coil for a bit so it won't be wasted.

Instead of valves you could use halleffect sensors to switch the solenoids on and off depending on the position of neighbouring solenoids.

I use a circuit simulator applet because it is easy to play with.
I'm using the one from the following website:

https://www.falstad.com/mathphysics.html

It may not be the best simulator but it is extremely easy to use.

I can't seem to figure out the proper configuration to redirect the
back emf to the other coil.
I figure it will need some sort of transistor or MOSFET switching,
otherwise both coils get charged.

I'm hoping that once the circuit gets oscillating that harnessing the back emf will mean
very little additional power will be needed to keep it going.

If this is too difficult to design for those on this site please let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back