Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electromagnetic lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am trying to build an electromagnetic lock with 1/2" x 1/8" Neodymium N45 magnets. here is a simple diagram for what i'm trying to do. i need any suggestions, input, or ideas related to this problem.

Attachments

• electromagnet lock machine.jpg
    electromagnet lock machine.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 210
OK what is it for. If it is spining all the time the batterys will run out fast. You may be beyond the laws of physics with this one. Andy

nice reply on the nonworkable devices. lol. this would be used for a homemade lock for my lockbox. (it's not completed yet...just the walls and base are completed)
**broken link removed**

the mechanism will actually open and close a drawer. turning one way will open the drawer (very small drawer), the other way will close the drawer. the screw mechanism will act as a crank.

there wouldn't have to be constant power.

Last edited:
OK you need to elaberate on your intent. Will you flip the disk? Looks like you are just trying to make a pancake motor. Its not a lock but a actuator. Andy

i would rather not flip the disc, but change the polarity. i sure do like to make things more complicated than they really are. i should just use previous suggestions and buy an actuator or H motor. i may also just use the drive from a cd/dvd player.

David; Pancake motors are vary weak and have vary low tork. You would need some complicated timing to switch the coils. Look them up but thay probly will not do what you want. Andy

im scrapping this idea completely. to get the effect i want, i've completely changed the design and gone with a much more efficient way of achieving success. to open my drawer, im using a spring mechanism that latches shut with the neodymium magnetic bar. a solenoid will release the magnetic bar, shoving the drawer open. i'll have to manually close the drawer and reset the lock, but that's fine.

You will be using alot of power to keep the lock closed.

Consider using a mechanical method,like a cash register drawer. nice, easy, and secure. (And already designed and cheap to buy)

To open and close a small drawer I suggest to make the drawer spring loaded and lock it with a pulling solenoid.

Small cash boxes are normally made that way, which I used in my shop. I made an adapter circuit for the serial interface of my PC and every time the final input was made the solenoid was triggered opening the drawer.

The solenoid does not have to be strong (power consumption) since it just has to unlock the drawer.

Boncuk

thanks blueroomelectronics (Bill), i will use that next time i sketch off of paper.

RMMM, thanks, someone else also mentioned that would be a good idea.

Boncuk, can you post a series photo of your cashbox with the solenoid in action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back