Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electromagnetic gyroscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to build a magnetic gyroscope. this video is really interesting, but i don't understand the components involved.
YouTube - one magnet no-bearing "magnetic gyroscope"

it seems the primary gyroscope is in some type of perpetual motion due to the 'magnetic motor??' next to it. it continues to spin at apparently the same speed after the power source was removed. can someone explain this to me. i have 1/2" x 1/8" Neodymium N45 magnets at home, and would very much like to build one of these for my walnut lockbox, which have posted a few threads on already.

i would like to operate a gyroscope with a little power as possible, and able to start it from a stationary position to full speed without making physical human contact. e.g. when opening a door, or turning on a switch, the gyroscope begins spinning and lifts to it's idle position.

In the video, a 6 volt battery is used to supply power to a coil of wire (electromagnet). The rotating part appears to simply be a plastic disc with some magnets attached around the circumference. When the electromagnet is turned on, a magnetic field is created around the coil. When the magnets on the disc approach the field, if they have the same polarity, the coil repels them, and vise versa. This causes the entire rotating piece to hover, and because of this there is very little friction on it. It is not perpetual motion as it is still slowing down, but because there is little friction its speed is decreasing very slowly (it will take a long time to slow down).
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back