Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electromagnet pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfx81

Hi. Here is the data for electromagnet
Wire material = copper
Turns = 160
AWG = 22
Iron Core = Steel bolt, ¾-13 thread, 2” long.
Resistance = 0.65 Ohms.
I = v/r = 9/ 0.65 = 13.84A

So If I connect typical 9V 200mA battery, how can I calculate how much weigth it can pull and for how long.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Kazz.

Those tiny 9V batteries won't last long plus their internal resistance will keep it from having any real current. You need a more power battery.

Hi. Here is the data for electromagnet
Wire material = copper
Turns = 160
AWG = 22
Iron Core = Steel bolt, ¾-13 thread, 2” long.
Resistance = 0.65 Ohms.
I = v/r = 9/ 0.65 = 13.84A

So If I connect typical 9V 200mA battery, how can I calculate how much weigth it can pull and for how long.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Kazz.

Hi,

We had a rather involved discussion on building an electromagnet in this
forum a while back. You could do a search to find it if you like.

One of the conclusions was that the electromagnet is strongest when
the resistance of the coil matched the internal resistance of the battery.

The pull of an electromagnet depends on a number of things. No only the amp-turns but the material of the core, its saturation, the size of the core and whether the opposing end is brought around to form a horseshoe.
It also depends on the material and thickness of the "pole piece" and the contact distance between the poles and the pole piece. These things will make a difference of more than 10:1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back