Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnet Based Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychopathetica

Ok I hope I explain this right or I might not get good answers. I basically am currently turning an ordinary toaster into a Nintoaster, which is a Nintendo inside a toaster. I'm pretty deep in and close to finishing it. However part of my design is barricaded by the sheer thought of one thing, the electromagnet. Now the Black & Decker toaster I have uses an electromagnet to hold the lever down when its heating toast. All it consist of besides the coiled cylinder and some metal bars are 2 measly wires, one for positive and one for negative, with part of the lever having this thick metal bar for the area of touching the magnet. After ripping the toasters guts out many months ago, I pondered how this electromagnet can work. So not too long ago today I did a test by wiring it to a battery, and sure enough it magnetizes until I release the wires from the battery. Ok so far so good. Now thinking about it, pulling the lever down will press the power button to the Nintendo, and power the magnet to hold the lever down. When I want to shut it off, pressing down should be no problem because itll shut off the power and cause the lever to come up. And this is what puzzles me. What if I pull up on the lever? If I pull up hard enough, the magnet will no longer attach to the metal it was holding and the damn power will probably stay on. On a regular toaster though, doing this will cut the power off. So how could I possibly utilize this electromagnet to power off the Nintendo when the magnet and metal bar no longer touch? Is there another way? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it's an electromagnet and not a bi-metal switch with a heating coil ?

There are many different designs of toaster. In two that I gutted the lever was held down by a mechanical latch and the solenoid was used to release the latch; not to hold the lever down.

Are you sure it's an electromagnet and not a bi-metal switch with a heating coil ?

Nope it was definitely an electromagnet. I even did an experiment with a battery, an on off button, and the electromagnet. It magnetizes with power, and unmagnetizes when the powers off.

@ alec_t, I didn't see a solenoid to release the latch unfortunately. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back