Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrolytic vs. Tantalum @ Low Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Hi,

I need a cap that works (maintains its value reasonably) all the way down to potentially 70mV (I know, I know). Since electrolytics won't do this, I was wondering if tantalums would? If not how bad are they? Thanks!

speakerguy79 said:
Hi,

I need a cap that works (maintains its value reasonably) all the way down to potentially 70mV (I know, I know). Since electrolytics won't do this, I was wondering if tantalums would? If not how bad are they? Thanks!

Can you quantify "maintains its value reasonably" ?

Does it have to be electrolytic? Can you consider Film types that have low DA & low voltage coeficient?

Just use tantalums if the capacitance is available, the voltage you are using is 50% or less than the rated voltage, and it's reasonably priced. What frequency did you need it at?

+/- 50% tolerance would be fine I think since this is only a filter cap. Frequency is in the tens of kHz. Value needs to be a few hundred uF and it has to be small. The value and size kills everything else I think. I'm trying to find a way to do this with a reasonable bias voltage on the cap but haven't come up with one yet. If I do then aluminum electrolytics will do fine I think. I will have a bias voltage of at least 1 and maybe as much as 3.3 or 5 volts hopefully.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Yeah...you aren't going to get a few 100s of uF tantalums at a reasonable cost. Nope nope. About $8 per 470uF cap.

what exactly you trying todo and what capacitance do you think you need? 70mV sounds more like a signal potential rather then a rail potiential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back