Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrocution device for rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg you want to kill animals?

first of all, if rats don't have any type of conducting material in them, then forget it, electronics wont work.

As for humans, we are conductors in electronic terms. In fact, we are resistors of several values.

fur is not a conductor. good luck.

A flame-thrower will take care of the fur, then you can electrocute the critters if there is anything left. :lol:

I used to use a microwave oven transformer for groundhogs in my garden. I used a wire about three feet long strung between 2 pieces of PVC pipe stuck in the ground. The garden was fenced in and I only left it on when I was home as it's really dangerous and a little stupid. A bit of peanut butter on the wire gets the critters to take a lick and that's the end of them.
The only problem I had was one of them died on top of the wire. It burned about half way through him before I turned it off.

You could build a beefed up stun gun and mount the output part on the end of a long stick. I'm not sure what the average resistance of a rat is but 75,000V should be enough to scare one to death :)

**broken link removed**

I'd definately use a larger battery than a 9V though, probably 6xAA NiMH's or a small 12v Gel cell.

Here's a few more zapper circuits
**broken link removed**

btw, the next time you see a rat or a furry critter get your meter out and measure it's resistance.

They don't have resistance because they are furry and don't sweat. :lol:

I'm pretty sure 2" long spark will find the un-furry pink parts easy enough.

**broken link removed**

I think the "Rat Zappers" zap them between their feet, face and maybe even genitals!

**broken link removed**

You don't need much to kill. 120V dc or 50V ac is enough to kill a human. Just having pads on the ground connected to mains is enough to kill. Rats are very clever though, they are not lemmings, kill one and the rest will find a new way. It's not incredibly humane either. High voltage generators are crap at killing, because they can't provide the necessary current for long enough, you'd need some meaty capacitors.

Pyroandrew said:
You don't need much to kill. 120V dc or 50V ac is enough to kill a human. Just having pads on the ground connected to mains is enough to kill. Rats are very clever though, they are not lemmings, kill one and the rest will find a new way. It's not incredibly humane either. High voltage generators are crap at killing, because they can't provide the necessary current for long enough, you'd need some meaty capacitors.

Don't even suggest mains voltage- not after seeing that guy trying to make an electric fence with it.

You need something that will not just electrocute a rat, but turn itself off after a suitable pulse so it will not cause a fire.

The RatZapper is the way to go.

Rats rhymes with cats, and I've gotten myself in trouble before by delivering my opinion on cats, having touched some sensitive souls. So, in the interest of sensitive souls, I might offer some alternative ideas to the destruction of these friendly and playful creatures (rats, not cats):

1. Offer them alternative food. What rat would want to eat items from your garden if you provide them with tasty, healthful meals on a regular basis?

2. Trap the little guys and then train them to do things you need in trade for the above-mentioned food, such as pulling the weeds from your garden, protecting your space from moles and squirrels, cleaning the living room or doing the breakfast dishes.

3. Clean them up a bit (flea collars and a bit of Frontline might be helpful) and introduce them to your kids. They are playful and especially love babies and make excellent, huggable plush companions.

4. Rats love games. Ever watch them in mazes? Make an enlarged version of "Mousetrap" for family entertainment.

5. There is nothing that a boy rat loves better than a girl rat. The more the merrier. Take advantage of the offspring of such unions. Gestation is fast! What better time to train than straight from the womb? Your product could be leased to Warner Bros. for making "Ben III" or any variety of Indiana Jones or Mummy flicks. At the rate rats reproduce, they'd make a great replacment for all those hordes of scarabs used in the Egyptian adventure films.

6. Think "CHINCHILLA". After all, there isn't much difference, is there?

7. Look at all the various outfits that deliver mail-order: flowers, clothing, shoes, vitamins. Get in early on the fad and offer mail-order rats for pets. Hey, if the pet rock did well, think of what a cuddly rat could do!

8. Remember that rodents must continually gnaw to keep their teeth in check. Teeth that grow that fast must be useful somewhere, especially since the traditional ivory market has been made illegal on an international basis.

9. Hey, here's a great twist on an Easter tradition. Bleach out the cute little furry creatures and then dye them in a variety of colors. Don't forget tie-dying -- rats love being massaged!

10. Paint numbers on their sides and place fifteen of them on a traditional pool table and work out the rules for a new game. The techniques in (9) above may be useful for this.

Dean

Agreed, the last thing any one needs is bad use a little bit of knowledge. Mains is very dangerous, but then again, so is 75kV across a capacitor. A shrouded device is probably the best way to go.

A device that can tell if it is a rat or not is even better :lol: , but I don't think anyone is going to invest that much money. :(

well, you can control if rats arrive to the killing place dry or wet too...
just make them walk/swim through watter :lol:

for example use wide and shallow container filled with watter (electrode #1).
in the middle setup plastic can with metal lid and some bait (make it raised so once the animal is electrocuted it falls down and circuit doesn't stay closed). also any burnning furr would be extinguished.

Reactions: Cka
panic mode said:
well, you can control if rats arrive to the killing place dry or wet too...
just make them walk/swim through watter :lol:

for example use wide and shallow container filled with watter (electrode #1).
in the middle setup plastic can with metal lid and some bait (make it raised so once the animal is electrocuted it falls down and circuit doesn't stay closed). also any burnning furr would be extinguished.

Many have successfully trapped rats simply with baiting a smooth-walled plastic barrel with a ramp up the outside. They can't climb out. If it's got a few inches of water in it they drown.

Poison works good too.

Old thread locked.
JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back