Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrical detail recognition?! help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perky123

Hi guys,

me and a friend of mine are trying to repair a DVD player (Elta 8845) and are stuck with a burned out part (coil) we don't know and so far no body can tell what it exactly is and does and what we should replace it with.

Please look at the picture and tell me what that could be and where to find anything to put instead?? It has 4 connectors and is on the input side of the circuit.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 020320091309.jpg
    020320091309.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 334
  • 020320091315.jpg
    020320091315.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 020320091312.jpg
    020320091312.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 314
DVD Player

Perky,
I'm on my way to your house right now with a new player, don't worry about the burned part.;):D

No, really, It looks to me the burned part is an inductor in the switching power supply. It may be repairable, the player not the part, but depending on the cost of the player it may be cheaper to replace.

Of course ther is always the thrill of trying to rewind the inductor.:D

Perky,
I'm on my way to your house right now with a new player, don't worry about the burned part.;):D

No, really, It looks to me the burned part is an inductor in the switching power supply. It may be repairable, the player not the part, but depending on the cost of the player it may be cheaper to replace.

Of course ther is always the thrill of trying to rewind the inductor.:D

I am sure you realize it is not about having a working dvd player but about the eventual success to reapair this one :)
so let's forget about costs and focus on the part itself ;)

thanks anyway :)

dvd repair

If it was me and I just wanted to try and repair the player, I would first try to find a repair shop to order the part for me. If that fails, I might try to unwind the wire being very care to not break it any more that it already is. You would probably want to keep track of the number of turns in each winding. You'll want to get the same size wire of course for the the windings.

This is sounding more like fun already.:D

If it was me and I just wanted to try and repair the player, I would first try to find a repair shop to order the part for me. If that fails, I might try to unwind the wire being very care to not break it any more that it already is. You would probably want to keep track of the number of turns in each winding. You'll want to get the same size wire of course for the the windings.

This is sounding more like fun already.:D

the repair shop idea failed twice already (I wouldn't be writing here otherwise) :)

I can't belive this part is not sold somewhere even under some other name.... I am sure they didn't produce it specially for DVD players, did they :)

the repair shop idea failed twice already (I wouldn't be writing here otherwise) :)

I can't belive this part is not sold somewhere even under some other name.... I am sure they didn't produce it specially for DVD players, did they :)

You should be able to find a suitable replacement even if you can't get the exact part. However, this may not be trivial. I tried to search the part number and didn't find anything. Some parts can be hard to find, and it is possible that this inductor was a special run for this product. It could be a standard core material wrapped with a certain number of turns and certain gauge wire. If it's a Japanese coil, or core - good luck!

If you don't find the exact part, you can try to find the service manual and find out the value of the inductor and the type of core material. This can get a little tricky though because nonlinearity and power handling are issues with modern coils like this.

You could try calling a coil company like MicroMetals ( Micrometals - Iron Powder Cores ). Their technical people might know how to track it down, or figure out how to replace.

Last edited:
It's just a mains filter, you can simply short it out, and everything should work fine - this will prove nothing else is faulty, but you should really replace it with a similar filter - it's just to keep interference OUT of the DVD player, and prevent the DVD interfering with anything else.

Basically they started adding them for CE compliance, before that they often didn't bother.

How did you determine that it is defective? It does look like it got warm, but this isn't often fatal to the filter. It is, however, usually fatal to the mains fuse (and is an indicator that something much more important down the line has failed).

It's just a mains filter, you can simply short it out, and everything should work fine - this will prove nothing else is faulty, but you should really replace it with a similar filter - it's just to keep interference OUT of the DVD player, and prevent the DVD interfering with anything else.

Basically they started adding them for CE compliance, before that they often didn't bother.

thanks.... I was close to making this conclusion myself but I didn't dare :) will try

How did you determine that it is defective? It does look like it got warm, but this isn't often fatal to the filter. It is, however, usually fatal to the mains fuse (and is an indicator that something much more important down the line has failed).

Well... to start with - all 4 in/out wires are disconnected due to the heat :))) the endings aren't visible anymore to reconnect - all I could do is just cut somewhere and reconnect... would that bring anything?

other then that - I already replaced all other part that looked burned out, incl. the fuse.

UPDATE:

So, I tried to short it out and ..... tadaaam :D it started..... BUT when I connected it to the TV:

1. The picture was a bit redish
2. the signal was instable - the TV was jumping from TV to AV and back... sometimes working properly for 2min and then jumping back and forth again....

so - I tried to repair the burned out inductor/filter by unwinding the wires a bit to be able to connect the 4 ends back to the connectors... kind of a tricky work with such a small wire.

and the final result: The DVD player works as new!! not jumping, no picture problems (so far at least ;) )

Total costs: 10€ (4 parts exchanged, 1 repaired)

Thanks to all of you and especially Nigel Goodwin for the tips!!

:*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back