Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

What exactly causes Electric Shock?
Current through human-body / the voltage across it?

I got electric shock from my computer screen and USB scoket attaced to it.
I measured the Leakage Voltage and Current.
It measured 256V and 2.2mA.
What in it caused me tingle?

EdIT:
Reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock

Last edited:
What exactly causes Electric Shock?
Current through human-body / the voltage across it?

I got electric shock from my computer screen and USB scoket attaced to it.
I measured the Leakage Voltage and Current.
It measured 256V and 2.2mA.
What in it caused me tingle?

EdIT:
Reference Electric shock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your Reference says it all.
"any source of voltage high enough to cause sufficient current through the skin"

The current is what will do the damage.
The voltage is the pressure to cause the level of the current.

When I use to play with my Tesla Coil (around 250,000 volts), I would get zapped occasionally, even came in contact directly. Don't know the current (pretty low, guess), but the arc was 7-8 inches. It wasn't so much a electric shock, mostly fear, but the sensation is more creepy, like bugs crawling on yours skin. High frequency AC, travels on the surface, instead of through the conductor.

You need voltage to get through the resistance of your skin, doesn't take much current to feel a shock, and surprisingly little to kill you.

Your Reference says it all.
"any source of voltage high enough to cause sufficient current through the skin"

The current is what will do the damage.
The voltage is the pressure to cause the level of the current.

As i said before... the voltage is 256V, Max current is 2.2mA..
Consider a wall wart,
Something like that gives constant 5mA supply, will it cause tingle?
500V, and max output current of .00000001A?, wat would happen?

When I use to play with my Tesla Coil (around 250,000 volts), .................e, instead of through the conductor.

You need voltage to get through the resistance of your skin, doesn't take much current to feel a shock, and surprisingly little to kill you.

So, can i conclude that current is the one that causes tingle?

Dx3 that's not quiet correct, in fact it's so dead wrong you'd be dead if you assumed that.

Without a high enough voltage to cause the current to flow there is no tingle, it's not a one or the other type of situation BOTH are required. If the voltage required to get a specific current to flow is exceptionally high there will be a lot of ohmic heating in the conductor, which means tissues damage, so even at low currents high voltages will damage tissue. It doesn't matter if the current is low enough to not cause your heart or muscles to seize if the power is enough to cause your flesh to burst into flames...

Last edited:
You didn't read my post then, because it's not the voltage.
It's the voltage AND the current. You can't have one without the other, and the total power going into the conduction is just as important.

and why do you think I'm so stupid that you have to explain that to me...twice?

Explain it to the OP and the people who went before me to lead him to the conclusion that current is what you feel.

Last edited:
You're gonna feel 1ma of current at 100volts very differently than 1ma of current at 10000 volts. Don't believe me? Try it.

I recommend that the original poster NOT plug himself in to 1000 volts. A small mistake can be fatal.

When I use to play with my Tesla Coil (around 250,000 volts), I would get zapped occasionally, even came in contact directly. Don't know the current (pretty low, guess), but the arc was 7-8 inches. It wasn't so much a electric shock, mostly fear, but the sensation is more creepy, like bugs crawling on yours skin. High frequency AC, travels on the surface, instead of through the conductor.
Not true with human flesh! but commonly believed (myself included). RF will happily go right through you. The reason is doesn't cause ventricular fibrillation is that above ten to twenty kHz, the nerves in your body stop responding to the current. It has to do with ion mobilities across nerve cell membranes and what it takes to generate an action potential. But the current is still passing through you. See the Wikipedia article on Tesla Coils and scroll way down for the safety info.

As everyone knows to get a shock you need voltage current and resistance and commons sense is simply not to put your skin where voltage and current is because guess where the resistance is?

Mike

Not true with human flesh! but commonly believed (myself included). RF will happily go right through you. The reason is doesn't cause ventricular fibrillation is that above ten to twenty kHz, the nerves in your body stop responding to the current. It has to do with ion mobilities across nerve cell membranes and what it takes to generate an action potential. But the current is still passing through you. See the Wikipedia article on Tesla Coils and scroll way down for the safety info.

Never did any intentional studies or experiments with this, just several personal encounters. It's nothing like the shock you get from an outlet, 220, or automotive (other unfortunate experiences), it's definitely on the surface of the skin, and lingering sensations or burns. Have to say this is getting to be one creepy thread, hate getting shocked, but just can't seem to stay away.

.......then, because it's not the voltage.
It's the voltage AND the current. You can't have one without the other, and the total power going into the conduction is just as important.....

Thanks Sceadwian,
Whats the source for this?
Since you said Power,
then would a constant 2.2mA Current source (see original post) cause tingle.
(Current 2.2mA passes through the body)

Thanks Sceadwian,
Whats the source for this?
Since you said Power,
then would a constant 2.2mA Current source (see original post) cause tingle.
(Current 2.2mA passes through the body)

If you passed 2.2mA through your body it would be VERY, VERY unpleasent.

The current capability of a double-insulated appliance is FAR, FAR below that - but why aren't your items in question earthed?.

EDIT:

Just a quick thought, I've checked my PAT tester, class II appliances are tested using 3000V at a maximum of only 0.25mA, or (soft test) 1500V at 0.25mA.

Last edited:
Not true with human flesh! but commonly believed (myself included). RF will happily go right through you.

Years ago while in the Army one of the repairmen was drawing arcs off or the antenna lead of a 600 watt transmitter while it was transmitting.
He was using a common lead pencil.
One of the other guys thought that was neat and tried it with a mechanical pencil, not realizing that there was metal all the way through to the eraser cap.
Burned a nice little hole trough the skin, through the flesh, and you could see the bone.
That one took weeks to heal, and he never did that again.

................but why aren't your items in question earthed?

Earthed it now...I had to remove the Socket and proper the earth connection wire.
and just to my curiosity, i have another question:

Why the neutral Pins have 2 wires connected (RED AND GREEN)?
Its comes out from the wall so, i'm not able to make out what it is...
And there's a two way switch next to it?
IS IT SIMPLY CONNECTED, BOTH NEUTRAL?

Edited

Attachments

• Internalofsocket.jpg
    Internalofsocket.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back