Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric holes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.EM

I was messing with a capacitors earlier. I had some charged to only 18v, and was just making sparks with them, no idea why :lol: . I noticed though that when I brought it near a piece of foil, and it arced, the sparks came out the other side and a little hole is left in the foil. If I put selotape on the other side, it can't get through though. I just thought it was really wierd. What do you think, if you got a higher voltage etc, you could make a spark launcher, where the sparks fly out the front through the foil. The ones on this extend to about 1inch only.

No it probbly wodnt launch the spark but make an biger hole.

I once shorted an 40 000 uF cap bank filed to 60V.It was prety loud.The caps bank lost only 15V becose wen i vaporised he foil it was the same thing as burining out an fuse.

But shorting whith iron or solder is prety speacecular.Lots af tiny spaerks fly about 1 m avey.The solder was also melted.(But there harmles)

You beter make an flame thrower. :twisted:

Anyway an spray (That has an highly flamable sticker) and an cigarete lighter can make an nice mini flame thrower.I used an spary for shoes and by the smell it most probobly conained aceton(Also an F+ sticker)It made an huge flame.

A right, I get you. Would make a funky cigarette lighter at least :lol: , not that I smoke. Think 'ill try getting a higher voltage, the cap can take 200v, but that would be a bit much. Oscillator, transformer and voltage multiplier should do the job.

It probobly wodnt work.Since its just an short blast.Runing a lot of amps trough an thin wire to make it glow red hot cod meaby do it.But the batery wodnt last too long.And baterys are heavy.

Meaby this cod be used to make PCBs.To fry the coper avey whith an nedle and some high amps.

I found out that you can permanatly write somting on metal whith graphite and about 20V.The trick is that you conect one pole on the graphite and one on the metal then you write like it was an pencil.The heat will melt some of the graphite in the metal and the only way to get it off it to snadpaper it.

Good for writing on keys.

Yea but the writing looks a litle shaky.

Oh and dont toch the tip right after using it,becose it will still be realy hot.

I just made an LED keybard light.I stuck an cuple of LEDs on top of my screen to light up my keyboard.I can see prety much beter.

Oh and i orderd some SCRs for the new coilgun.I also found an realy powerful and cheap MOSFTEs 110A continues 350A peak at 55V just $2.50 (Perefct for an inverter or somting)

At the shipyard we had a spark machine and it was used to get rusted and corroded bolts and screws out of holes. Don't know the principle but it worked. Maybe the arcing heated the metal or ate it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back