Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Hand Dryers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
What the Hell! At work they just finished 6 weeks of remodeling and upgrades to the employee restrooms. Instead of paper towels, we got all electric hand dryers. We had to endure a month and a half of porta-potties (mid-summer in Florida) for these "improvements"... They also removed the stall walls between urinals, all mirrors above the sinks (one large mirror next to the door, screwed if I need to fix a contact lens). Mostly, I just wash my hands before going on break or going home, now the restroom is basically useless for this. I'm still having to use the sink in the breakroom (paper towels).

If they are punishing us, they should just have kept the porta-potties. Funny thing is, most of the hand dryers don't even seem to work. Some don't stay on for more than a few seconds (no hot air), others don't seem to function at all. Hopefully these things get ripped of the walls soon. I don't like the idea of wet hands and electricity, just never seem to mix well...

I hope he hasn't installed a camera too!

Oh, your boss is a woman?
And pics of your winky are on her web-page?
Did you smile? :D

Since they seem to remove the items that keep public restrooms a bit civilized, act like animals then; everyone should piss and crap on the floor instead!

HiTech said:
Since they seem to remove the items that keep public restrooms a bit civilized, act like animals then; everyone should piss and crap on the floor instead!

Maybe that's why they did this...

I hate electric handdryers and refuse to use them.
paper towela anytime.

I just pull a couple of meters toiletpaper of the roll just to dry my hands and p$#s them off. and chuck it on the ground.

RODALCO said:
I hate electric handdryers and refuse to use them.
paper towela anytime.

I just pull a couple of meters toiletpaper of the roll just to dry my hands and p$#s them off. and chuck it on the ground.

Be careful or they may take the toilet paper out and put in electric...uhhh...

dknguyen said:
Be careful or they may take the toilet paper out and put in electric...uhhh...
That's when you use office paper from of the copier, wipe yer azz, then toss it into the paper shredder! That'll teach mean ol' management.

Actually, it's a huge warehouse, about 900 employees. I work on the blue collar side, you know, honest work... This is why I'm upset over the paper towels, figure I should at least be able to wash my hands properly. Yeah, its tough at times likes, being treated like some uneducated moron, by people that partied through college on daddy's dollar. But the pay and benefits are about as good as an office job, but with low expectations and better job security.

At a company that I once worked for, they sold a model of electric hand dryers that were so powerful, they practically tore your hands off at the wrist. They were like wall-mounted leaf blowers...with quite intense heat. The display units that were mouinted on a tripod, would constantly launch themselves quite a distance whenever activated. THESE WERE THE ONLY HAND DRYERS THAT I EVER USED THAT TRULY WORKED!. I just wish that I could remember the name of them.

bigkim100 said:
At a company that I once worked for, they sold a model of electric hand dryers that were so powerful, they practically tore your hands off at the wrist. They were like wall-mounted leaf blowers...with quite intense heat. The display units that were mouinted on a tripod, would constantly launch themselves quite a distance whenever activated. THESE WERE THE ONLY HAND DRYERS THAT I EVER USED THAT TRULY WORKED!. I just wish that I could remember the name of them.

Could it be World Dryer Corporation?

https://www.worlddryer.com/

Last edited:
Getting shocked really creeps me out. Wet hands and high currents don't mix. I haven't spent enough time in there to see if they upgraded the ventilation don't really want to find out either, by hanging around a hand dryer for 2-3 minutes (and still have moist hands). When I do need to use the restroom, I wash my hands, then drip water down the hall to the breakroom and use the paper towels there.

I thought they were normally power from RCDs to protect you and some are also double insulated.

Hero999 said:
I thought they were normally power from RCDs to protect you and some are also double insulated.

I would have thought the chances of a shock from a hand drier are absolutely miniscule, they are VERY safe devices, at least the UK ones I've installed are, and I seem to recall they were manufactured in the USA?.

Actually, the chances with these would likely be zero, since the actuate by infrared proximity. No physical contact required. Still doesn't real the anxiety.

Hmmm... infrared. Wonder what it would take to build an circuit to actuate them all at once. Halloween is coming up...

HarveyH42 said:
Wonder what it would take to build an circuit to actuate them all at once. Halloween is coming up...
You would blow the main breaker for the building.:D

CanonMan75 said:
Could it be World Dryer Corporation?

https://www.worlddryer.com/

Nope, notit...this seems to be the standard ones. The on that I am talking about is quite unique in its look, as it has a moulded plastic case, and the nozzle exits the machine in the centre of the unit. Also it was made in the USA.
As far as safety...they all have built in GFI'S' and the heating elements are actually quite deep inside the unit, and a grating in the output jet keeps fingers well away from any harm. Ur fingers would actually hit the fan blades before the heaters, if you could get ur fingers into the nozzle. Some units even have a interlock that keeps the unit off if it is removed from the wall, or the case is opened in any way other than by using the key. I think he chance of electrocution from these units would be zero.

Last edited:
bigkim100 said:
Nope, notit...this seems to be the standard ones. The on that I am talking about is quite unique in its look, as it has a moulded plastic case, and the nozzle exits the machine in the centre of the unit. Also it was made in the USA.

Perhaps it was the "Burn-O-Matic 2000" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back