Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric grounds and their connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
PG, let me give you a tip,

Instead of posting a link to a scan of some highlighted hand written text located on a third part site, just type it here and add the associated pictures as attachments.

Truth be told I just could not be bothered reading the text on the other site, too much like hard work.

JimB

Last edited:
You are correct in that you can connect the grounds of many different voltages together. Regarding connecting the positives of the batteries together, imagine this: You have 2 voltages trying to produce their own voltage and are prepared to source an infinite current to do so. If you connect them together (and they are not exactly the same voltage) what will you get? It makes no difference if one battery is 1V lower than the other, or if that one battery is at 0V, and you wouldnt want to short the output of a battery to 0V.

With ac voltage, just imagine the ground is at a fixed voltage (0V) and the other terminal of the battery goes positive and negative with respect to ground, but the ground stays fixed. This might make it easier to picture. You should be able to figure it out from there.

This sounds like homework help, so I am not going to take this any further. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back