Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Fencer replacement Part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huggnz

I am trying to fix my electric fencer for my farm, and I am running in to a problem determining what transformer will work as a replacement.

I am pretty sure that it is the transformer that is the problem. I see a real nice spark/arc inside the coil when the thing discharges.

Transformer Part on the board is MC1368C and it says 94V-0

Anyone have any ideas? I have e-mailed the company and have not received any response.

Thanks Guys for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• fencer.JPG
    fencer.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,023
We have some horses, and a similar setup. Although I haven't had mine apart, it sounds like you have insulation breakdown in the secondary - and that's where you see the spark. The transformer you speak of is the one under the orange, correct? The other transformer is the low voltage transformer for the logic that gives you that jolt every ~ 1 second. The HV transformer is probably a specialty part. I've seen do-it-yourself circuits use a flyback transformer from a TV set or an ignition coil transformer from a car do the same thing, but it would require a good schematic of your unit if you would want to make the modification. I would suspect it would cost more to repair this unit than to go down to tractor supply and buy a new one - unless you happen upon one of those HV transfomers. Let us know.

Yeah, it's under the orange plastic cover. And, the spark is real close to the where high voltage comes out of the transformer. I guess I could take the part off and see if I can see where it has been sparking. But, I'm sure there is nothing I can do if the insulation is bad.

It does appear the HV circuity is the same as in the schematic here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/electricfence-jpg.4007/

I think the fencer cost me about $130. It is one of those solar ones.
I just thought if I could fix it for $30 bucks I would do it.

Thanks Analog for your help.

94v-0 is on a few transformers I have here too, it must be a standards thing, like an insulation rating or something?

google indicates it's either a UL or IEC rating for inflammability, so no dice on it being a part number of some sorts!

Check the fuse F1-1A (left, down). If is good, maybe trafo is OK.
The nice spark what you seen may be an air-gap, usually used to
protect the high voltage winding of trafo (HV secondary).
94v-0 is a standard.

Okay guys....<sigh>

I took the transformer off and it has a pen(ink pen) head sized hole in the plastic insulation. I can tell where the arc was occuring. I highly do not think it can be fixed. And, the low voltage side seem to me to be okay...close to zero ohms. And, the high voltage side is infinate. Which, I would guess that would mean the winding on the secondary side is broke.

Not sure if my logic/terminology is correct.

So, I am on a hunt for a transformer of some sort? I guess I need a step up transformer? Or maybe I can find a similar replacement one.

Any suggestions? I'll surf some more and see what I find.

I really appreciate all and any help you guys have gave me.

I hate to drop another $130 on a new one.

So don't be shy . cut the transforner cover with a hacksaw or knife or whatever and see if you can get to the good end where the spark is jumping from .

Unwind it some perhaps . They usually have for example say 100 turns primary winding to 10,000 turns secondary or so , (100 to 1) if you unwind the top 50 what does it matter. Get the good end and bring it out where it is supposed to come out and check the winding then for resistance . If ts OK epoxy over the whole outside of the coil and away you go

Probably an older type "Car Ignition Coil" Would work in that circuit.

Go to a car wrecker and get one to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back