Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Fence Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

antksmit

I am fairly new to the electronics scene, and have committed myself to several projects for the pupose of learning. I am attempting to build a tester for my electric fence around our farm, but I'm just not sure how to drop/control the voltage from the controller. I have been told that it is a DC voltage, and I know it's rated at 5kV. If I can get this voltage down into what I would consider a managable range (say, 25v) I could take it from there...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

hi,
I have made a number of electric fences for our farm [animals] in
South Africa.
If you ever require to make your own fence, goto a local car breakers
and get a 12volt car ignition coil, the series ballast resistor and the 2mFd
capacitor from the distributor.

Using a simple circuit to switch a relay on and off, say once a second you
can generate a high voltage pulse. The circuit is designed so that you can vary the 'dwell' time of the relay [ how long its closed for, which gives some control over the energy/voltage of the high voltage pulse] and the time interval between pulses. Power it from a 12v car battery.

As a test 'dummy' load I use an old spark plug. A rule of thumb is that a
1kVolt spark will jump across 1mm gap, so if you create a gap of 5mm and the
spark jumps it, you have at least 5kV. Keep opening up the spark gap until
spark fails. This will give you a rough guide.

As the impedance of the ignition coil spark generator is high, it will deliver
very little current and it is not lethal, but uncomfortable. Anyone who
has had a shock from their car ignition will tell you.

Regards
EricG

I always thought they were more along the line of 10kV. I know they make testers for fences that measure the voltage. Some are digital and some are neon like this one:
**broken link removed**

I neon tester might be easier to make.

Just my advice as a fellow novice, but high voltage dosn't seem like a good starting point. Sure the fence won't kill you, but projects that run off a 9v battery will be easier and less painful.

ericgibbs said:
hi,
I have made a number of electric fences for our farm [animals] in
South Africa.
If you ever require to make your own fence, goto a local car breakers
and get a 12volt car ignition coil, the series ballast resistor and the 2mFd
capacitor from the distributor.

Using a simple circuit to switch a relay on and off, say once a second you
can generate a high voltage pulse. The circuit is designed so that you can vary the 'dwell' time of the relay [ how long its closed for, which gives some control over the energy/voltage of the high voltage pulse] and the time interval between pulses. Power it from a 12v car battery.

As a test 'dummy' load I use an old spark plug. A rule of thumb is that a
1kVolt spark will jump across 1mm gap, so if you create a gap of 5mm and the
spark jumps it, you have at least 5kV. Keep opening up the spark gap until
spark fails. This will give you a rough guide.

As the impedance of the ignition coil spark generator is high, it will deliver
very little current and it is not lethal, but uncomfortable. Anyone who
has had a shock from their car ignition will tell you.

Regards
EricG

a TV flyback xfrmr will also do the job.

Try to measure with a string of 10 x 10 M:eek:hm: resistors in series,
and have 1 x 1 M:eek:hm: in series too.

So all up you have 11 resistors in series.

At 10 kV you get nearly 1000 volts across each 10 M:eek:hm: resistor.
Across the 1M:eek:hm: resistor you should get about 100 Volts which should be ample to lit a neon indicator ( which usually strikes at about 70 Volts)

Of course have the R's well spaced out on your tester and the 1M:eek:hm: Res. will be at the end of the string with one leg to the ground.

It's not super accurate but it will give you an indication of the voltage level.
Also a neon imposes a negligible burden on the tester. provided it doesn't get too much overvoltage.
The neon striking voltage can be determined with a variable dc supply or mains variac driving a bridge rectifier.
Be cautious with mains wiring during testing of course.

If nothing lights up, reduce the 10M:eek:hm: Res. string to 8 or 6 or less just to get the neon to pulse.
Than work out backwards how to get the fence voltage.
say 70 volts across 1M. and 10 x 10 M Res. about 7000 Volts makes 7700 Volts.

All Resistors rated at 1 Watts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back