Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric fence energizer repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey1000

I'm trying to repair an Electric Shepherd ESB 250 electric fence energizer (12 volt battery driven) Its problem is the use of non-Milspec components which have steel leadout wires. As it is a battery fencer it will have been used outside in all weathers and the damp atmosphere has corroded away the leads on several resistors and diodes (join steel and copper then get them damp = a corrosion cell) There is one glass diode with bands White Black White Black but the black bands are very thin. I thought that it might be a 1N9090 but this number does not compute. Probing up the hole where the lead used to be shows that it is a diode (the lead at its other end is still OK) It looks like I will have to reverse-bias what is left of it to try to discover its Zener voltage. Curiously the PCB had been varnished by the makers but it looks as if the varnish was also not Milspec. IMHO car body cavity wax protects better than varnish but of course nothing lasts forever. If anyone can ID that weird diode I'd be very interested to know what it is.

Update I have just discovered that there is a 1N99 but whether this is it I don't know. The 1N99 is Germanium which is rather surprising but of course the unit is very old. Unfortunately the circuit diagrams for these things seem to be Trade Secrets as the makers would really like their customers to buy new products.

Hi Davey1000,

I have moved your post to its own thread. The thread you originally responded to was 7 years old, plus we generally don't allow hijacking of others' threads. So here's one of your very own!

Good luck!
Matt

The design is like just a simple flyback oscillator . No special parts needed like Germanium transistor.
SHow pictures of what you have and voltages measured over picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back