Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Blind on/off two way timed switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim5785

Hi, Everyone

Im hoping someone on here could help me. I am looking for a design for a circuit for electronic blinds i am building, i have machined the mechanical side, however i now need help creating the electronics.

i need a two way 12 v switch for a dc motor, that can be programmed that once turned on will only power for x amount of seconds one way and the same for the other direction of the motor (opening and closing the blinds)( this could be different , ie sensors). i hope someone can help me with this, if anyone would like to see my mechanical creation. just say and i will be happy to upload a photo.

Any help will be much appreciated.

james

Last edited:
Timed open/closing of motor driven blinds is a bad approach. Because of start/stop and speed variations of motors and friction in the system, the start and stop points will "creep" over time. A more reliable method is the control the stop points with limit switches.

Definitely post photos...it's free. ;)

Ken

My blinds controller reads an LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) to sense how bright or dark it is outside. So, in the morning, once the brightness gets above a certain level, it opens the blinds.

I have the opening time set at 2 minutes I believe. The motor turns for exactly 2 minutes, which is the perfect amount of time to open my blinds. It's been running for a few years now, and I haven't really noticed any mis-alignment, as in the blinds not opening/closing all the way.

One question would be whether you have the blinds where you twist a rod, or pull a string to open/close. The rod twisting would probably be more accurate, but my blinds are the string kind, and my system has still stayed quite accurate.

Cheers for the replies guys, yea i was thinking about a photocell. i have the metal pullcord type. here is the picture of my motor and pulley. i still have to make the bracket.

**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my blinds will be fully open in about 10 seconds, would be great if someone could give me a circuit to use. I was thinking about limit switches, however i am hoping to link this up to 4 blinds on a 12v circuit which i will conceal in the walls.

Cheers for the comments guys is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back