Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Blanket Power Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzcamp

How would I find out how much electricity (volts, amps?) a typical electric blanket uses in a four hour cycle? And, how would I figure out how to provide this power using a rechargeable lithium battery? What type of battery could provide the necessary voltage/amperage for this four to five hour time period?

Look towards low voltage electric blankets. They make them. As to power use? Measure the voltage and current over the 4 hours and average it. Once heated the current will drop off. Obviously the size matters. King and Queen will use more power than a twin or full. There are simple devices like the "Kill-A-Watt" that will tell you power consumption of a device. However, start with low voltage electric blanket which gets you to units like this where later the power supply would need modified. You really haven't provided much information.

That Is My Guess
Ron

Deleted Off Topic

Moderation. E

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just read what the ratings are on the package when you buy it. :p

How would I find out how much electricity (volts, amps?) a typical electric blanket uses in a four hour cycle?
Measure the resistance of the heating element, check the supply voltage, then use Ohm's Law.

Doesn't an electric blanket have a thermostat that turns it on and off depending on the setting and the ambient temperature? Then it uses NO power each time it turns off.

Remember that the power consumption will vary inversely with ambient temperature and thermal insulation.

You could just read what the ratings are on the package when you buy it. :p

Certification agencies insist this correspond to maximum power under normal load. So even if it's 1000 Watts at a 10% duty cycle = 100 Watts average, it still gets rated at 1000 Watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back