Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electret microphone amplifier circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdanh2002

Does anyone know of a good amplifier circuit using an electret condenser microphone as input? The output should be loud enough to feed into an earphone. I try this **broken link removed** which works but the output volume is very soft. I need to tap on the microphone or blow into it in order to hear the noises in the headset. I remember I came across a similar amplifier circuit that uses 3-4 transistors which was very sensitive. I built it and could hear every single noise inside my room. But I can't seem to find it now.

I adjusted the value of R2 and R3 in the existing circuit and could see some improvements, but the output volume is still not loud enough. I also tried to add one more amplifier stage using another transistor but the result is a high pitch tone in the output (some unstable oscillation I guess).

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good amplifier circuit using an electret condenser microphone as input? The output should be loud enough to feed into an earphone. I try this **broken link removed** which works but the output volume is very soft. I need to tap on the microphone or blow into it in order to hear the noises in the headset. I remember I came across a similar amplifier circuit that uses 3-4 transistors which was very sensitive. I built it and could hear every single noise inside my room. But I can't seem to find it now.

I adjusted the value of R2 and R3 in the existing circuit and could see some improvements, but the output volume is still not loud enough. I also tried to add one more amplifier stage using another transistor but the result is a high pitch tone in the output (some unstable oscillation I guess).

Thanks for any advice.

hi,
Look thru these links.

electret microphone amplifier circuit - Google Search

Have you considered using a LM358 or another OPA as a preamp, followed by transistor.??

Don't use an LM358 dual opamp because it has crossover distortion, lots of noise (hiss) and cannot drive the low impedance of an earphone.

A mic preamp is designed to drive the high input impedance of a power amplifier. The power amplifier has enough output current to drive an earphone.

Your preamp didn't work becase the earphone loaded down its output almost like a dead short. Adding another amplifier resulted in the mic hearing the earphone which produced acoustic feedback howling because the sound went around and around.

Here is a pretty good electret mic preamp. It can drive a little LM386 power amplifier IC.

Attachments

• Electret mic preamp.PNG
    Electret mic preamp.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 3,724
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back