Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electret Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopetard666

I was at school in Electronic & House Wiring today and I was trying to figure out how to test an Electret Mic using a Multimeter to see if it would work or not and my teacher doesn't know either so I Need Help?

Last edited:
Even without being properly powered an electret microphone produces voltage in the µV range.

Connect it to the multimeter using the lowest voltage setting for input.

Gently knock the capsule on a table and the DMM should read something between 15 and 30µV when knocked.

(not the DMM, but the microphone!)

Boncuk

Last edited:
Boncuk; How many multimeters have you seen go down to microvolts?

You cannot test an electret mic with a multimeter.
It must be put in a circuit, such as an amplifier, with the correct current flowing through the device. Listen to the result. If you deliver too much current the output will sound like bacon-and-eggs frying.
You should be able to hear a pin drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back