Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electret 1st stage amp mod-DC coupled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I was fooling around with a basic amplifier interface for a generic electret (from Newark) and I came up with this design that seems to exhibit some low noise floor properties with better low end frequency response. (I wanted it to feed a PIC comparator so the DC offset is good for me).
I note that once the LED isn't saturated (lit) the noise floor is better than the original circuit.
Original circuit:
**broken link removed**

Modified Circuit:
Low Noise Electret Amp.png

Perhaps those with experience in audio amps etc. can pitch in. This is purely experimental here.

I have seen several "white noise" or pink noise generators. They can use a Zener diode as a noise source. A LED is the "bright" brother of the Zener. I would think a LED could be used as a noise source.

Try putting a capacitor across the LED. This might increase you gain a little.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The original circuit is bad. I simulated it using a 2.7k resistor replacing the electret mic and the 10k resistor that powers it.
1) Its high frequency gain is only 30 times because the input of the transistor is a low impedance of about 2.8k ohms which loads down the signal from the mic and attenuates it. The mic should have a preamp with an input impedance of at least 27k ohms.
2) The input coupling capacitor value of only 0.1uF passes only frequencies above 500Hz so low sound frequencies are missing.

Here is my simulation:

Attachments

• bad mic preamp.png
    bad mic preamp.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 196
Why is your schematic a negative image?

Your mod reduces noise because the mic and transistor do not work.
Get rid of the LED and use a coupling capacitor from the mic with a high enough value to pass low frequencies.
Because the low input resistance of the transistor loads down the signal from the mic then the output level from the transistor will be low.

The emitter of the transistor should be 0V with no LED. The collector should be about half the supply voltage at 2.5V
so it can swing equally up and down. Then the base will be about 0.63V.
The collector current will be about 2.5V/10k= 0.25mA.
The hFE averages about 200 so the base current is about 0.25mA/200=1.25uA.
The base resistor has 2.5V at one end and 0.63V at the other end and a current of 1.25uA so its value should be
(2.5V - 0.63V)/1.25uA= 1.5M ohms.
The electret mic needs 0.5mA and about 2V so its resistor should be (5V - 2V)/0.5mA= 6k, use 6.2k.

Attachments

• modified electret mic.png
    modified electret mic.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 201
Your Light Thingy works very well.
I also use those SuperFlux LEDs in the 4-pins package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back