Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

El wire project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Guys.

I am planning to make an EL (electroluminescent) project on an outfit to mimic the Tron movie. The thing is, I am afraid to build an inverter. I have quite a lengthy EL wire and I would only need a few. The remaining wire would be used for other projects. The question is: could a bug zapper racket circuit be used to power the EL wire? If the bug zapper racket is too powerful for the wire, is there a way to reduce its power output?

Or is there a possibility to directly connect the wire to a DC source?

Thanks in advance.
cheesy.gif

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately though, the shipping cost would be more than the price of the actual product since I am located in the Philippines.

Unfortunately, it was impossible to find a supplier near you, since we don't know where you are.

The point being made is that to modify a "bug zapper" to produce the proper voltage and frequency is no less a task than making a small, battery-powered inverter from an established design. I don't understand your fear of one task and not the other.

Maybe a little more information from you about the resources you have available and the source of your anxiety (inexperience?) would allow us to give more constructive responses.

John

Inexperience? You could say that again. :( And since the project will be wearable, I do not want to end up shocking myself or anyone else.
I could follow simple schematics, as long as any of the parts do not need any kind of programming of sort.
Well, my initial query is that is the bug zapper CAN be "down-sized" in terms of voltage output, otherwise, a schematics for a not-so-electrician me would be greatly appreciated. :D

Well, my initial query is that is the bug zapper CAN be "down-sized" in terms of voltage output, otherwise, a schematics for a not-so-electrician me would be greatly appreciated. :D

Yes, the transformer can be rewound to give a lower voltage -- it is probably easier to wind a new one on a fresh core. You also need to adjust the oscillator components to get the right frequencies. In other words, I think it would be easier to start from scratch and build an inverter that is known to work for EL.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back