Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

El Cheapo FM transmitter for IPOD; antenna mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dialtone

Need some advice from the FM ghuru's here.
I recently picked up and FM transmitter for and IPOD style device.
Marketed under the G.E brand it is really a JASCO Products HO987683.
My question concerns modifying the internal antenna to extend the range of the signal thruought my home.
When I open it up, if find a short piece of wire bonded to a squarish shaped foil backed cardboard in the case. I assume this is the antenna.
From what I have read, a suitable FM antenns can be had in using a conductor of around 57 inches length.
Does anyone here think doing this mod will increase the range from 2-3 meters to 20-30 meters?

PS. I am using this to broadcast from my PC soundcard and want the extra range to send the signal to my living room receiver.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Some FM transmitters I have seen have a pot inside (belkin is one) and you can turn it up a little. Mind you in the US, that is probably not allowed by the FCC. The pot normally drives the final output transistor. Or find that resistor and change it? Just ideas, without a schematic hard to say.

It is made to go 2m in a car to the car radio. It isn't designed to go 15 times farther. It might have an attenuator on its output that can be removed to increase its interference effect.

you might be able to build a simple booster or even connect an off the shelf signal booster to the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back