Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Efficient Communication between two older 8051's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik3ca

Here's the situation.

I have a system that needs to interface with an HM-TRP radio module and a computer. Both devices are set to run at 9600 bps.

I initially tried hooking up both devices to a single AT89S52 chip and tried software UART, but I don't think the system is up to speed (even with the 22.1184Mhz crystal) as other things needed to be processed in the micro.

Now I decided I need two micros. I will use the AT89S52 for most of my processing and hook its hardware UART pins to the computer through a converter (think max232 IC), and I will use the AT89C4051 for the radio module processing and hook its UART pins to the radio module UART pins.

After working on the main board with AT89S52, what I have available to the UART are 7 data lines and a clock where the output changes every clock cycle.

This means I won't be able to send whole bytes between the two devices right away, but what I want to do is make AT89S52 do all the functionality and use AT89C4051 as the radio module translator so I can quickly read from and write to the radio module.

I heard about SPI, CAN, i2c bus communication modes, but which is best for me and why?
Is there even a better communication mode designed specifically for the 8051 that I don't know about?

Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back