Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Efficient 120v lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

We have a nighttime event where previously somebody's been bringing a huge, cheap ass 3.5kW generator to run 2 pairs of quartz halogen post lights to light up a field. Those are either 300w or 500w per tube.

My idea here is to go with something more efficient to light up the area on a 1000W EU1000i generator, very quiet. LEDs and florescents won't do the output on a reasonable budget and are not as efficient as discharge lighting like sodium vapor street lights and HID headlights. The discharge lighting is not only more efficient but is all about lighting large areas.

So anybody have a specific idea what product I might be looking for? I kinda think eBay's going to be the source but I need a better idea what product I need first. I'm kinda thinking of what I remember as lighting up a gym but I'm not sure of the name of this technology much less its specifications. I know they will require ballasts at least but I'm not sure past that.

I'd suggest visiting a local electrical supply place or contacting the local representatives of lighting manufacturers. A consulting engineer who is skilled in lighting could be of some value. Publications, journal articles or references might contain some information to help you. I think Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) might be one place to look.

Consider that the type of lamp is only one part of the equation. If your goal is to provide the maximum lighting with the minimum energy then you'll need to understand the light fixture itself (photometrics) and the environment/situation where it will be used. The color or temperature of the light might matter too - all depends on what you are doing. A lamp might put out lots of light but if the fixture doesn't get it where you want it then a lot might be wasted. There are a lot of light fixtures that have efficient lamps but that put lots of light where it isn't needed.

Back to lighting manufacturers and the IES. Quite often awards are given to manufacturers of lighting products or the engineers/contractors who specify or install them. Case studies are often available - you might find one that's a near match for your situation allowing you to copy that - at least on paper so you can understand what you'll get and how much it will cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back