Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I Am studying modulation methods through "Principles of Electronic Communication Systems" book by Frenzel. indeed it is a very good and simple source for explaining modulation methods.
I just got a question and after thinking on it got confused (my damn brain!)
As you may know in AM modulation the efficiency of the output modulator increases by increasing modulation index. the maximum efficiency is when the modulation index is 1 or 100% (i.e m=(Vm/Vc)=1).
No I am confused if we can just amplifier the output of the modulator while the modulation index is below one yet get maximum of efficiency? if not whats the reason? the Vc?

Actually what efficiency does mean there? The output can be connected to an amplifier to magnify the amplitude and of course the power of the modulator's output.
Do you know what is my wrong?
Hope it makes sense to you guys.

Thanks a lot

Efficiency is probably not a good term for AM modulation index. It is true that the maximum signal to noise (or information content to noise) through RF communication channel is achieved with high modulation index. Commercial radio stations use an audio compressor to make the modulation index have a higher average then normal audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back