Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effects of a CAN short circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equinox

Hi, I'm hoping someone with a bit more electronics experience can help resolve some paranoia. Here's the situation:

I have a machine which has several microcontrollers on a CAN bus. These micro's have some special power circuitry (using capacitors etc.) such that when they are powered down, the voltage ramps down in a particular manner so that values can be saved to EEPROM, etc.

A few weeks ago, there may have been a short between either CANH, CANL, or Shield, since these wires were left dangling out of the machine while it was on. After noticing the wires, the hazardous situation was removed. Fortunately there was no evidence of a short, and the CAN bus is still working perfectly.

Soon after that we started having problems with the power circuits controlling the voltage drop on power off for a couple of the microcontrollers, where the voltage is now dropping too rapidly. I'm wondering if the two events are related?

I'm guessing they aren't, since if there was a short, and if the CAN bus was not designed to protect against shorts, there would have been high current going through the micro. This would mean the micro would also be fried. I can't think of any way that the power circuitry would be affected given that the micro's are fine.

I'm thinking this is likely to be a co-incidence. Thoughts?

Last edited:
^^ Also, I'd like to give more information about the actual components used but I can't actually get to the board for closer inspection (as it's firmly encased and the manufacturer doesn't give out that kind of info)

Depends on the manufacturers spec of the bus driver board or output.

I had a fiat punto that had a canbus network, the cable that leads through the a pillar into the door had a worn through rubber, and the cable shorted to ground on several of its cores including the canbus, as a result several electrical devices in the car stopped working.
Fixing the rubber and protecting the cables made everything work again without replacing anything and the car stayed with us another 12 months with no trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. There's no way I can get the manufacturers spec.... I guess I will never know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back