Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

effect on battery charging by use of 110 V DC instead of 110 V AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivvaram

Helo everyone

I wish to introduce myself as an engineer working for Indian Railways.
Of late we have started providing 110 Volts AC plug socket outlets for chagng of mobile phones and laptops inside railway coaches for use of passengers. This 110 Volts AC is derived by using individual inverters of 200 VA rating. I plugged my mobile charger in a 110 V DC socuket outlet and found my charger was working and my mobile (some chinese make) was getting charged. My doubt here is
1) what will be the impact/ effect on the battery charger of mobile phone (or) that of lap top which is designed generally for use in 230 V AC input when I plug it in a 110 V DC socket?
2) In case the charger works when plugged into 110 V DC socket, what is the impact/ effect of the battery of my mobile / laptop
If any one can answer with solid derivations based on formulas (or) perhaps with already tested data, please let me know

Ramesh.A
Mob.+919500032082

If the chargers are SMPS type they are quite happy to run on AC or DC, most SMPS are 100v to 250v automaticly.

Some chargers will not work on DC. Why are you even considering 110 VDC?

Mike.

Just about all chargers or adaptors that are rated to work over a wide voltage range, for example 100 - 240 V, will be OK on DC. However, 110 V AC will produce about 150 V DC when rectified, so 110 V DC might be too low.

A charger that is only rated for one voltage, for example 110 V +/-10 %, will probably not work on DC, and might be damaged by it.

The O.P.'s (original poster) explanation is totally confusing, at least to me.

1. You first say that the railroad is providing 110 volt AC outlets for passengers, but then you said you plugged your charger into a 110 volt DC socket. Where was that socket? Did you mean to say DC? Are there both AC and DC sockets in the railcars? Why would you provide 110 volts DC, which is a very strange current?

2. Isn't your country (India) a 240-volt country? If so, why are you providing 120 (which is what the actual nominal voltage is) volt receptacles? Isn't that mixing apples and oranges? Or do you use both voltages in India?

(Note: in order to keep confusion to a minimum here, let's not get into the minutiae of differences between 110/120 and 220/230/240 volts; let's just consider them equivalent and leave it at that. There's already too much confusion in this thread!)

Last edited:
If the charger / laptop power supply is the good old-fashioned transformer type, rather than an SMPS type, then it WILL be damaged by plugging it into 110V DC. Your railway will have some very unhappy travellers!

Alec

22082012(001).jpg

Dear all..

small clarification on this discussion.. see the above the figure. in train they mentioned 110 v dc charger for mobile/laptop. but actually output of the socket is 110 v Ac and 50 HZ only. the input of the system is vary from 90 to 140 dc. this type of socket is come with 100 VA inverter circuit in built.

i hope everyone understand.

i hope everyone understand.
They may all have lost interest. This thread is three years old :).

I guess the train runs from DC electricity. They provide 110VDC for riders to use a heater for their coffee or something.
Lately they use an inverter to produce 110VAC but why not 230VAC like in their homes?

Must be for Canadian tourists :)
I think you mean for "French Canadian" tourists.

I learned French in school. Then I went to Quebec and heard a strange language that wasn't the French from France that I learned.
How far North are you? In my part of Southern Canada a few mornings had frost and I think I saw some snow pellets that melted the moment they touched the ground.
The Canadian Geese are not flying South yet.

I learned French in school. Then I went to Quebec and heard a strange language that wasn't the French from France that I learned.
How far North are you? In my part of Southern Canada a few mornings had frost and I think I saw some snow pellets that melted the moment they touched the ground.

There are no "Canadian Geese" if you have one it is a Canada Goose and if you have more than one they are Canada Geese. The operative word here is Canada, you are familiar with Canada I would assume. Canada is where the Canadians live but the geese that live there are Canada Geese. The ones around here no longer even migrate. :)

Ron

I guess Google is American so Google and I (I am not American) got it wrong.

Attachments

• canadian geese.png
    canadian geese.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 223

Same thing happened to me. I learned French at school. I could speak fluently with people from Paris, not recently though, perhaps some 30+ years ago. When I came to Montreal I couldn't understand them and they also refused to understand my French :(

I'm 100 miles North of Edmonton. Geese are long gone (perghaps a month ago or so). It's already all snowy here and minus 21 outside at the moment.

I guess Google is American so Google and I (I am not American) got it wrong.

Actually I guess it really matters not (Canada Goose or Canadian Geese) because dinner by any other name is still dinner. :)

Ron

Sorry for the off topic.
I was born in Edmonton when my dad was fighting in WW2. I was raised in Hongcouver before the Chinese people took it over then I went to university in Toronto.
Dinner?
I think "Canadian Gooses" are only in Chinese food.
At a Chinese restaurant recently the menu was translated into English and they listed animal insides that I have never eaten (but maybe that is what they served to me?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back