Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEprom Write time help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
Is there anyway to reduce the impact of the eeprom writes?
I have a 24 byte EEPROM write that is hitting me for 240ms...which kills my display strobe.
I'd like to keep the display alive.

thx!

The only way is to write it to ram and let an interrupt update the EEPROM. How often is you display strobed? Could you use the display interrupt to update the EEPROM?

Mike.

So u mean after I write an eprom byte, go do other stuff for 10ms and then come back to do another,rather than waiting for the write enable?

I mean that you write the 24 bytes to a ram buffer and set a counter to zero. In your interrupt check the counter and if it's less than 24, write that byte to eeprom and increment the counter. The interrupt can be either the EEPROM interrupt or your display interrupt.

Mike.

Thx Eric, i'll have to study that some...using asm. But the 10ms is still quite a while. I'll work on Pommie's approach 1st,.

Let ya know what I come up with.

Ok, I did a simplistic variant to Pommie's suggestion. Since the write delay is taking place inside a menu system, it's the display flicker I have to worry about, not other functional areas. So I inserted a call to the strobe routine inside of the wait for EE write completion loop. Thus the strobe gets exclusive mcu attention during the 240ms wait period. From the human mechanical interface point of view, we can live with a quarter second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back