Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEPROM with USB interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Is it possible to have a circuit with two buttons which write different values to an eeprom? The eeprom needs to be readable from Linux / windows XP (and above) as well. Ideally I went to cat the device node i.e. cat /dev/bus/usb/001/001 then the value in the eeprom will be outputted to the console.

Great. How do I go about implementing it? I'm assuming I connect a eeprom to a microcontroller. Connect the switches to the microcontroller then program it to write to eeprom right?

On a PC keyboard when a key is pressed two pins of the micro controller are connected together hence it knows what key was pressed right?

That's the theory but how do I actually do this? What do I need to know to do this? I only have rusty basic electronics knowledge from school.

I'm thinking of using I'm not sure what microcontroller to use. I heard the atmel AVR chips have integrated EEPROMs. I'm very little data so 64KB will be more then enough.

Last edited:
No all it needs to do is store a number. Actually the eeprom could just be 1 byte big. I need an eeprom because it needs to be stored permanently and erased because it can change depending on which
button I pressed. I.e. one button tells grub to boot windows other tells it to boot linux. Ideally I should just be able to do cat /dev/bus/usb/001/001 then it will give me the value in the eeprom. If possible I like to stick to DIL socket style IC .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back