Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEPROM Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Someone Electro said:
Can it then transfer 1Mbit/s if its run at 1Mhz?
:shock:

thats about 100 KB/s and thats fast enugh for digital audio transfer.

Is it realy that fast?

I suspect there are a number of conflicting and confusing thoughts in this thread!.

Firstly, I get the impression that the original question was asking about adding PROGRAM MEMORY to a PIC? - you can't do this for almost all PIC's, and I2C EEPROM wouldn't be suitable anyway. I2C EEPROM would only add another form of slow EEPROM data memory.

Secondly, I2C is a relatively slow system, designed for a very specific purpose (connecting IC's together on large PCB's, using just two wires on a common bus). As such, it's fairly slow and complicated (it was never designed to be fast!) - but as it's a syncronous system the speed of it is totally dependent on the speed of the master clock thats feeding the slaves - AS LONG AS THE SLAVE CAN KEEP UP!.

I2C EEPROM's are slow devices, you can read them a LOT faster than you can write them - and there are various projects available that can playback audio from an EEPROM using a PIC - but they use various clever methods to overcome the limitations. But you can't record the audio data in real time, the EEPROM is far too slow.
That's true Nigel, I just explained I2Cs speed and system clock relationship (there is non). And it is true that you can't use EEPROM to store audio in realtime (regardles if it is I2C, SPI or Paralel). Ofcourse one can use FRAMs (They have NO writting delays, sutable for AUDIO/VIDEO recording), but they are 3 times more expensive.

I knew SPI was fast but i didnt know that I2C is that fast.

Thanks for the shocking info

on full speed you cod proboby run 100 uncompresd audio streams in real time over SPI

Someone Electro said:
I knew SPI was fast but i didnt know that I2C is that fast.

Thanks for the shocking info

on full speed you cod proboby run 100 uncompresd audio streams in real time over SPI
No, SPI can handle only 6x Stereo 44Khz 16bit Audio streams :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back