Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ebook reader device circuit diagram and operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizzzon

I am a new student of computer science and happening to think of making a device that can read only pdf format file system like a sony ebook reader but i am not sure how i can develope such a device or what i need to made it, so i need information of how i can make a ebook reader so cheaply, and the basic concept how i can include or maintain both software and hardware in this device in details,the circuit diagram, necessary components also how i can include a pdf reader software and make it worked in that new device,and what compiler should be used,also i want to include total 11 button briefly, 1 button for power on/off, 4 button for moving mouse pointer,center button for selected by cursor, 2 button for zoom in/zoom out,and 4 buttons for scroll page up/down, right/left.this device included micro sd card reader, and battery. So i want to have a solve for this problem, plz help me.................!!!!!

Buy a cheap laptop.

Install a lightweight Linux distribution.

Tweak and write scrips until it works how you want it to.

Oh Brother

I am a student, and would like to build a time travelling unit. It should have lotsa pretty buttons and lights. It should be able to travel backwards and forewards in time easily, and include a usb connection for easy interface to my laptop. How i can make a time machine so cheaply, and the basic concept how i can include or maintain both software and hardware in this device in details,the circuit diagram, necessary components also how i can include a pdf reader software and make it worked in that new device,and what compiler should be used,also i want to include total 11 button briefly, 1 button for power on/off, 4 button for moving mouse pointer,center button for selected by cursor, 2 button for forewards / backwards in time,and 4 buttons for scroll time up/down, right/left.this device included micro sd card reader, and battery. So i want to have a solve for this problem, plz help me.................!!!!!

Is this request any less silly?

Damn computer nerds... :)

To read and display a PDF file, you need a computer!!! Doesn't matter how many buttons, it still a computer, and needs an operating system. Have you looked at the PDF specification?

I bought a $50 GPS about a month ago, found the unlock instructions online. Now I can run Windows CE programs, including a PDF reader.

Now, as a student, I'd suspect you don't have thousands of dollars, or unlimited free time for this project. Yes, thousands of dollars, if you want to build it all yourself. Quicker and much cheaper to get a PDA, or something like a GPS to hack.

Damn computer nerds... :)

To read and display a PDF file, you need a computer!!! Doesn't matter how many buttons, it still a computer, and needs an operating system. Have you looked at the PDF specification?

I bought a $50 GPS about a month ago, found the unlock instructions online. Now I can run Windows CE programs, including a PDF reader.

Now, as a student, I'd suspect you don't have thousands of dollars, or unlimited free time for this project. Yes, thousands of dollars, if you want to build it all yourself. Quicker and much cheaper to get a PDA, or something like a GPS to hack.

Did you NOT READ THE O.P.'s ORIGINAL SPEC's!
HE SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A SINGLE BUTTON THAT WOULD ALTERNATLY POWER THE UNIT ON AND OFF!!!!....
Cant you read man!

so i need information of how i can make a ebook reader so cheaply, and the basic concept how i can include or maintain both software and hardware in this device in details,the circuit diagram, necessary components also how i can include a pdf reader software and make it worked in that new device,and what compiler should be used ... 4 button for moving mouse ... 2 button for zoom ... 4 buttons for scroll ...included micro sd card reader...

So let me see if I follow you correctly, horrrizon - all you really need from us is the schematics, bill of materials, source code and implementation directions for an inexpensive, battery powered, micro-SD-card-reading ebook capable of interpreting and displaying (with variable zoom) vector and bitmap data from postscript data format files?

And you're willing to meet us halfway and compile it yourself if we tell you what compiler to use? And you don't even need solid model files or material specs for the plastic case or ANYTHING?!

hey man why are u so angry,, it was just a question for my project and for my knowledge, i will do it and will show it to u... because i will develope the software.. and it is a matter of time.. i just wanted to have some help...not insult...

Give it a go and find out, it'll cost a small fortune to build said device from scratch. How do you plan on decoding the PDF format?

PS please stop using txtspeak in forum posts.

i want to apologize to u all for such a silly question yes it is a main fact to decode it.. thank u blueroomelectronics for ur co-operation..

i can't understand, if u can plz say, is it impossible for me to develope such device?

It's not impossible, it's already on the market. We are just trying to tell you that it would take a single individual, a couple of years, and several thousand dollars to to build from scratch. For you, might take longer, since you seem to lack the electronics background to realize what goes inside the box.

Not sure if you can just buy the mini-computer core, and just add the display and buttons you need, the just lock the operating system into only running the PDF reader software. My unlocked GPS, only has 4 buttons, and a touch screen. Unlocked, it'll run Windows CE programs, even read PDF from an SD card. Basically the same thing you want to build, but cost my $50.00 and about a week to find, download, and install.

It's not that its a bad project idea, or it can't be done (like HOH cars), just that you will lose interest. You eventually find its not cheap or simple, and it's been done and can be purchased, can be done on the cheap with a little tinkering of available products.

I don't think anyone is really trying to be mean (maybe a little rude), just that most people take up projects that are either unique, improved, or it can be done cheaper. Yours doesn't fall into any of these, so not such a good idea. Not that our opinions really matter, it's your time and money, you are free to use as you please.

horizzzon,
Build something that does all that but reads a simple text file instead. Then come back and ask us how to make it read pdf files.

I am a student, and would like to build a time travelling unit.
That's simple. Just sit around on the couch eating chips until your future self builds it and travels back in time to give you the project! :rolleyes:

I would suggest an iMX.21 (Arm9) processor for this. You can get "COG" development boards for it online, I've used these and was impressed. It will drive an LCD display, read SD cards, and runs Linux. The processor is reasonably cheap and runs at half a ghz or so. The development board has an LCD display and several buttons, including a 4-way joystick type, there's a USB interface for programming.

.pdf contains both raster and vector data. Fonts are drawn as a connected series of cubic splines and filled in. It's not a trivial task to interpret one of these files, but there are probably existing library routines in Linux that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back