Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy ways to reduce electronic "Noise" 38kHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I built a little IR detector, but it recieves a lot of interference/noise. I was wondering what are some simple tips to reduce it to a very small amount, aka no false detections. Since it detects a 38kHZ Input, It works around 38kHZ. I know adding caps, etc but any beter tips?

You can't without a microcontroller of some sort. Commercial IR decoders like the one the Junebug uses still sees IR noise, you simply decode the information you want and throw away the rest.

The TSOP series of IR receiver ICs use automatic-gain-control when they see continuous 38kHz IR like from compact fluorescent light bulbs and also DC. When they see data in bursts and gaps then the gain goes up to max.

Attachments

• TSOP1738.pdf
    204.7 KB · Views: 208
I guess what I mean is how to eliminate false detection spikes

:)

Meh I will just add a bunch of caps, tants electrolyic, etc.

Post your circuit for us to show you where the noise or "false detection spikes" are coming from.

Hi Krumlink,

This works and does noise correction with a 12F series PIC. Here is a link to the original article on which it is based:

http://users.frii.com/dlc/robotics/projects/botproj.htm

Scroll to the 12C508 project. There are also useful links therein to the Dallas group.

The best part of the project is the error correction concept. The code is for a 12C/F series PIC, but is easily adapted to other versions. The schematic and code are attached. It was for a specific purpose that I had, but can be easily adapted to other uses.

The application has been outdoors in bright sunlight and and has worked flawlessly.
John

Attachments

• 12F509_IRTxRx.png
    12F509_IRTxRx.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Infrared Proximity Detector3.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back