Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy way to get toner off a PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_build_stuff

For anyone interested, paint stripper (the kind you brush on and scrape off later) will easily remove toner from a printed board. Just drip a little on the board and wipe with a paper towel.

only thing I'd worry about using something "harsh" like that is the possibility of it damaging the substrate epoxy of the board itself (fiberglas no, but phenolic maybe?), or damaging the epoxy adhering the copper to the substrate

when I unsuccessfully tried the toner method (too attached to my printer to risk running glossy paper through it), I found the toner came off the pcb very easily using a hogs-hair brush dipped in mineral spirits.

I think at my school we just use steel wool....

Hmm. I'm not going to go with this method, I'm just gonna finish off my CNC mill and then etch the PCBs - best part is afterwards I can change out the bit and drill the PCB holes....woohoo!

When I get it done I'll post pics. (I know I got a little off topic :oops: )

Anyways, I was also worried about the stripper taking off the traces with the toner...

totally agree with last poster.

Acetone. It costs next too nothing when purchased from a retail chemist shop. The smallest amount will do. You will be amazed at how little effort it takes.

Avoid 'nail polish' remover if you can, because it has other chemicals (moisturiser I think) that may impaire soldering. I always wash in detergent afterwards anyway.

Acetone from Walmart paint department, not as cheap and the chem shop. I think I tried Denatured Acohol and it was a lot of work.

But Paint striper is very strong and the fumes, I would avoid it...

acetone and lacquer thinner are the two that I have used and either one works fine. Both have very harsh fumes, so it's best to do it in a room with plenty of ventilation.

evandude said:
acetone and lacquer thinner are the two that I have used and either one works fine. Both have very harsh fumes, so it's best to do it in a room with plenty of ventilation.

absolutely ... lacquer thinner (mineral spirts) stinks like diesel fuel ... however I did find you can buy "low odor" thinner, which is more refined, it costs a lot more (1 qt costs as much of 1 gal of the cheap stuff), but it has almost no odor to it, and since you only need a little on a rag or brush, it should last a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back