Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

easy question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

high lord jah

Hi, hoping some body would be able to tell me whether substituting .25 watt resistor for a .5 or 1 watt equivalent would do the same job.
Thanks alot any one who can help. John

It's usually better to substitute a 1/4 with a higher rating, but seldom the other way around, unless you like smoke and flames (pretty cool). The price of resistance, is usually paid in heat...

do you know the actual current and voltage through the resistor? if so, calculate the wattage - V * I. Then you will know the appropriate wattage resistor to use. note that if you are close to the limit (say .24 watts, for example) you might want to move up the next size (.5 watt in that case).

O.K quick while we are on the subject of resistors (I know back to basics)what is the best way to test them.(philba hey neighbor.) THANKS Don

Measure the voltage across the resistor.

Power = I*V = R*I^2 = (V^2)/R

The last equation is the one you want since all you need to do is know the resistance and the voltage across the resistor (easily obtained without breaking the circuit, unlike if you measured the current). So if the voltage squared divided by resistance is larger than the power rating, you need a larger resistor.

Easiest way to test a resistor?
Step 1. Eyes. See smoke or fire?
Step 2. Nose. Smells like burning resistor material?
Step 3. Finger. Does your finger burn?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back