Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy cool project

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

You know the spotlights that cops have on their cars? Well I wanted one :lol:
I bought a 50W halogen light from allelectronics for $2.50: https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=HLP-503&type=store

I then put it inside of a 2" piece of ABS pipe (because its black :lol: ) you can use PVC too. I also put a 2" cap on the back where I put a panel mount toggle switch and drilled a hole to put a wire through so that I can hook it up to my truck battery. I wanted to put a cigarette lighter plug on the end but I didn't have one. You can see how I held it inside the pipe, with four screws, in a square if you're looking straight on at it. Two to hold the bottom and two to hold the top. I just got to thinking that one way I could've improved the design would be to have a piece of plexiglass on the front holding it in and the two screws on the back but ah well :wink:

It's only about 6" from front to back. It works GREAT! take a look at the photos. I drove by a party and shined it at all the kids, must've gave 'em a bit of a scare :twisted:

EDIT: I just realized I should've posted this in projects, afterall the subject says: Easy cool project. Maybe a moderator could move it for me? Well that was stupid :x

Attachments

• dscn0190.jpg
    dscn0190.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 374
  • dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 401
  • light_161.jpg
    light_161.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 393
zachtheterrible said:
EDIT: I just realized I should've posted this in projects, afterall the subject says: Easy cool project. Maybe a moderator could move it for me? Well that was stupid :x

It's hardly worthy of the name 'project' is it? - connecting two wires to a 12V bulb!. I think this forum is probably the best place for it!.

BTW, a friend of mine made a headlight for his bicycle in this same way about ten years ago (except he used aluminium tubing), he powered it from a small lead acid battery strapped to the frame.

Well its not so much the connecting of wires, but how I used the screws to hold it in the pipe and stuff.

But whatever you think . . .

looking at the top picture one would think that this light somehow produces lot's of vibrations :D

Can it light-up the moon? :?:
I think my ultra-bright LED chasers do. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back