Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy AC Voltage ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanMH

Hi Guys,

First post here, a few times google has sent me here and I figured I'd better take the hint! ;)

Probably a stupid question I know, but I haven't dealt with circuits for awhile, and this may be in the wrong forum, for both I apologize in advance.

Situation: I am designing a controller for a salt water fish tank, through my PC and will be flipping relays to turn on/off various AC voltage items. Some of these are motors (called power heads) that move water in the tank. During start up these will usually CLICK and rattle a few times and I basically want to reduce that. I'm pretty sure it can be done by ramping the voltage up, but haven't been able to find a way to do it with AC voltage.

Can I simply use a resistor and capacitor in an AC circuit to ramp up voltage from off to 110VAC in say 500 ms? The units only draw about 10-15 watts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insight!

Ian

An resistor capacitor delay only works for DC. You would need something more elaborate for AC.

One way is to use the type of light dimmer that can be controlled with a voltage, something like this **broken link removed**. You could apply a ramp to the control input which would slowly increase the average AC voltage.

But I wonder if the noise is from the relays or switches applying voltage at an arbitrary phase of the 60Hz. Perhaps a solid-state relay with a zero-voltage turn-on such as this **broken link removed** would reduce the noise also.

Eh they get the noise just plugging them in as well. Hmmm thanks for the link though, I think I found a cheaper I/O board!

You could try starting them with a resistor in series at first, then shorting out the resistor.

Or you might get away with a surge protecting thermistor. They are NTC thermistors that start at a high resistance and limit the current. As they get hot, the resistance drops and the load gets the full voltage.

An inverter with a ramp start will work, but is expensive.

Or you might get away with a surge protecting thermistor. They are NTC thermistors that start at a high resistance and limit the current. As they get hot, the resistance drops and the load gets the full voltage.

That sounds like an affordable easy solution.

An inverter with a ramp start will work, but is expensive.

Yea, that is pretty much what I kept getting steered to, and is way to expensive for this project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back