Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy 12v time relay help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlawler0

Hi all,

I am sure for most of you this would be a very simple project but I am very new. I want to run a very small 12 volt motor off a deep cell battery. I need the motor to turn on for 3-5 seconds (can this be adjustable) then turn off for approx 8 seconds.

The motor will be winding in a rope until the rope is completely in then releasing the rope back out, then pulling it back in, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike

What condition makes the motor reverse? Are you counting turns of the capstan, or sensing the capstan being full of rope with a microswitch?

The other end of the rope has bungee that stretches as the motor winds it in.....when the motor stops the bungee pulls the rope back out.

You explained what you are doing to keep the rope taut on the capstan; I guess you are banking that the bungee can "free-wheel" the motor when power is removed?

Last edited:
You explained what you are doing to keep the rope taut on the capstan; not what decides how long the motor runs so that it always returns to a known starting point. You cannot do this by time alone; you need an indexing/limit switch somewhere in the system.

I guess its more difficult than i thought, there is a big ring that doesn't allow the rope to be drawn in any further but i am guessign if the motor continued to try to pull that would not be good.

I guess its more difficult than i thought, there is a big ring that doesn't allow the rope to be drawn in any further but i am guessign if the motor continued to try to pull that would not be good.

Reread my previous post again, I edited it while you where replying. After rereading the original post, I think you can do it without the limit switch, since the motor is whimpy...

This should do what you want. You will have to determine the polarity of the motor leads. I'm assuming the motor draws less than 1/4A.

Attachments

• DF77a.png
    DF77a.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back