Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

easily destracted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
grim said:
i had an excellent introduction into electronics, when i found the valve radio my dad had built.

i also had an excellent intoduction into the high voltages that valves opperate at:eek:
Well, allow me then to introduce you to this high voltage, hi emf circuit!:rolleyes:

**broken link removed**

Nigel Goodwin said:
Certainly not :D - and a lot of the younger guys here would learn a lot by building on a proper breadboard rather than these toys they use now, not to mention how many people seem to think electronics consists of running a circuit in a simulator!.
Well, I could say you struck a nerve with that second comment, but my conscience is clear. :) I probably post as many (or more) sims as anyone here, but I generally do it in response to a design request. Even if I had the time to design and breadboard them, the OP would have lost interest by the time I finished them!
I paid my dues when it comes to breadboarding. As one example (out of hundreds): Back before integrated video A/D converters were available (early '70s), I breadboarded a complete 9-bit A/D that ran at 14.3 megasamples per second. It was put into production as the A/D in the CVS 520 time base corrector, and we shipped thousands of them. It was on a board that was probably 150 - 200 sq. inches.
I did the breadboard a "subcircuit" at a time, on single-sided copper-clad, with solid ground plane except for pads with holes in them. The holes were drilled on a drill press, and I used a Vector pad cutter in the drill press for the pads. I would generally test each subcircuit as a standalone unit, then "integrate" it into the emerging design by butting ground plane edges together and running a solder bead, sometimes with the help of some bus wire or braid for strength.
There was no decent simulation software that I was aware of then, But I would have given my left knut to have some. It would have saved me a lot of time.

Ron H said:
Well, I could say you struck a nerve with that second comment, but my conscience is clear. :) I probably post as many (or more) sims as anyone here, but I generally do it in response to a design request.

Not aimed at you Ron, you've 'done your time', it's all the youngsters who think electronics consists solely of running a simulation, or at the most pushing wires (very messily) in a solderless breadboard. A lump of wood and a tin of nails would do them the world of good! :D

it's the speed and ease of Lego v the proper engineering of Meccano

it's finding out your 1.1 corsa doesn't handle like the Imprezza WRX you learnt to drive on your playstation

it's shooting 500 mutant zombies before going to school, when you should be frying ants under a magnifying glass

ahh the real world. lets keep it to ourselves for a bit;)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Although I would disagree with the voltages on your diagram, the DC to the mag is only about 3KV.

You need to think a bit about that circuit, you will get twice the peak voltage from the transformer across the diode, not sqrt2 x Peak as you get across the capacitor.

JimB

JimB said:
You need to think a bit about that circuit, you will get twice the peak voltage from the transformer across the diode, not sqrt2 x Peak as you get across the capacitor.

I measure the voltage on them on a regular basis - it's around 3KV!.

whether the kv is 3 or 5 it's still going to hurt .... alot, a real lot!

HiTech said:
whether the kv is 3 or 5 it's still going to hurt .... alot, a real lot!

I've never met anyone who has had a shock from it, and I certainly haven't - it's generally considered to be seriously fatal!.

I did hear a story about a local engineer who DID get a shock from one, he was extremely lucky that paramedics happened to be just down the street, and they were able to resuscitate him after a very short time. However, it was said that he was never quite 'right' afterwards, but at least he wasn't dead!.

I think Nigel is talking "real life" voltages not the schematic.

I had a weird one once. I was cooking in a microwave, open the door real fast and reached it and I swear I got hit by it. It burnt and seemed like a small area. Like a fast hot needle. I am no longer in a hurry to get my food out.

mramos1 said:
I had a weird one once. I was cooking in a microwave, open the door real fast and reached it and I swear I got hit by it. It burnt and seemed like a small area. Like a fast hot needle. I am no longer in a hurry to get my food out.

I would suspect it was merely a splash of hot liquid that got you!, I doubt it would be possible to open the door fast enough for it still to be operating. Also, you wouldn't feel anything that fast if the microwaves did get you :D

Still a good idea to wait a little before getting the food out though!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back