Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easiest circuit design for a LT1076-5 Step-Down Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittydog42

I am looking for the easiest circuit for this device. I would like to try to do this without an inductor if possible due to space. My input voltage will be 24VDC and the regulator I am using has a fixed 5VDC output. Any ideas as to how?

The LT1076-5 is a switching regulator. Its circuit needs to have an inductor.

Use a linear regulator like a 7805 that works without an inductor. But since your input voltage is so high it will probably get too hot and will need to have a big heatsink if your circuit uses a fair amount of current.

What current do you require?

If it's only 50mA then I wouldn't worry about a switching regulator.

If you want low currents <500mA then check out this website for a simple discrete switching regulator.
https://www.romanblack.com/smps/smps.htm

I require about 220mA. I am currently using a C&D Technologies NME2405D, which costs around $11. The cost is one issue, and the 1W rating is the other, since I am a little over it. The plus is that it is very simple to incorporate, but the minus is that it is overloaded, and that the part is not a standard form factor.

220mA?
Then you're better off using the design from the website I linked in my previous post.

Cheaper and just as effective.

You need to drop the requirement for not having an inductor though. What's so bad about inductors? You can't build a decent switching power supply without one so buy one if you don't fancy winding your own.

https://www.romanblack.com/smps/a02.htm
Code:
+15v -------*-----------------*--------,
            |                 |        |  Q1
            |        470 ohm  R1       |  PNP
            |                 |        E  BC327
      8k2   RZ                *------B
            |                 |        C
            |                 |        |          (measured:)
            |            2k7  R2       |   470uH  (460uH, 0.7 dc ohms)
            |                 |        |
            |      NPN BC337  |        *----L1-------*------ +5v out
            |                 C  Q2    |             |
            *----*----*-----B          |             |
            |    |    |       E--------|-------------*
            |    |    |                |             |
            |    |    |                |             |
            |    |    '------C2--------*             |
     zener  |    |           2nF       |             | 47uF
      ZD1   -    |                     -             C 16v
     5.6v   ^    C1                    ^ D1  1A      |
    400mW   |    |                     | schottky    |
            |    | 6.8nF               | 1N5819      |
            |    |                     |             |
Gnd --------*----*---------------------*-------------*------ Gnd

If you could get hold of a 12/15V plug pack, then the 7805 is great, and cheap ($0.25 from www.futurlec.com)

Perhaps use a 5W wire wound resistor available from www.futurlec.com to step down the input voltage

Although rated for 5W, driving them at 2 Watts will still produce a lot of heat, but you can drive your loads up to 300mA dissipating only 1/2 Watt over the 7805 (Power is calculated by V * I)

Using two 33 ohm resistors means that half the heat can be dissipated on each resistor

Attachments

• power dis1.JPG
    power dis1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 298
I don't know if I have the space for the 5W resistors. I have a 7805 set up with a heatsink and that is too big as well. I could get the LT1076-5 to work with an inductor, but it seems to take up too much space for my application.

One question about inductors - can I use any type, such as an axial or radial inductor that would resemble a capacitor in appearance?

You have a space limit!

You should have made that clear in your original post.

Anyway, what's wrong with my suggestion, or anyone else's suggestion?

If your 24V input is reduced to 8V then a 7805 won't need a heatsink since it would dissipate only 660mW. But with 24V as its input it must dissipate 4.2W and need a pretty big heatsink.

Hero999 said:
You have a space limit!

You should have made that clear in your original post.

Anyway, what's wrong with my suggestion, or anyone else's suggestion?

True.

I don't really have a rigid space limit, but the size of my finished product will mostly be determined by how large the power component is.

Which inductor

In what circuit?

Take care to pay attention to the current rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back