Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earth Day project

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Well, finally got around to starting this thing. I guess the whole Earth Day thing got me going yesterday. I've got 3 sections for a savorius-type rotor glued together, looking around for a lighter shaft. I wanted to recycle some beer cans for the rotor, but after doing some measuring, it seemed a lot taller then I really wanted. Plus I could figure a simple/easy way to cut the cans in half length-wise without crushing or mangling them. Went with some little plastic cup like things. Worked out well, as the diameter was the same as from the edge of a CD and the edge of the hole in the middle. Haven't figured out how I'm going to offset each section 60 degrees when I stack them up on the shaft. Should be able do it by sight.

Going to try a bi-polar stepper for the generator. I've got some 9 volt motors that will light an LED pretty good when finger spun. If the rotor can spin the motor, I'll get light. I went with the savorius rotor for simple construction, and torque rather than speed. Also seemed to be several other advantages. The tough part (finding parts), need to find something to make a 15mm tube fit over a small brass gear on the stepper. Haven't decided to mount the motor on top, bottom, or both and save my self the trouble of finding some bearings or other means to reduce friction on the free end of the shaft.

This is just another yard light thing, might not even go with batteries or much in circuitry. I'd be surprised if it survives the first severe storm.

Hmmm... Could have swore I put this up in Alternative Energy, not the Political Crap forum, maybe the moderator can move this to a more apropriate place.

Really had nothing to do with saving the planet from it's own natural processes, or my lack of political direction. It's about a simple toy project to create some light that doesn't require batteries or extention cord. Pretty well useless in any practical sense.

Kind of sucks, but looks like I might have to go to Home Depot (really hate that place) to find something I can use to attach the motor to the shaft. Going to look around here some more, certain there must be something to spare me the ordeal. Last time I was there they were trying out some kind of self-serve check out.

Pommie said:
Have you had a look at the pico turbine. Also, **broken link removed**

Mike.

Yes, I saw it. Didn't read through to much, made of paper (not so good for outdoors), and you wind your own coils to build the generator. Wanted something that would be setup outside, quick and simple to build, hopefully using parts that will make it repeatable.

I did find a knob that fits over stepper shaft, but need to shave it down just a little to fit in rotor shaft. Should work okay, but not a great solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back