Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbid

I'm trying to make up some very simple PCB boards. Heck, they are just a 3904, a couple resistors, a Diode, a relay and some headers for connecting power, sensor, and a switch.

My problem is finding the dang relay in the library. I did all my testing and my first protoboard using a little OEG (Tyco) 5 volt relay and would like to just use the same thing on my other boards, but I can't find it in the library. So I've tried making the part both from scratch and my modifying a similar parts footprint, but the process sucks, it's almost retarded in how hard it is. I can't even seem to be able to just adjust the size and pin layout to match.

I've searched all the tutorials and maybe I'm just stupid but I'm not getting any help.

In eagle a device consists of a symbol associated with one or more packages.
Find a relay that matches except for the footprint.
From the schematic editor select open library and examine the device to see
what package(s) it uses.
Open that package and copy it with all layers turned on.
Create a new package and paste.
Modify this new package to meet your needs and save it.
Open the device and add the new package by clicking NEW button
which is above the PREFIX button.
Connect to associate the symbol pins with the package pins using the
CONNECT button to the right of NEW.
Save the device.

After you have added the device to your schematic you can
use CHANGE PACKAGE to select your new package.

That was from memory. I hope I got it right. If not Bonku will
be by to let me know....

Thank you. that does actually make the process sound more simple.

In messing around with trying to modify one footprint I had trouble trying to get it to size correctly. Trying to get the package size and pin placement correct mad no sense at all. You have to move the pin where you think it might go, then use the ruler, then move the pin, then use the ruler... wow what a pain.

You shouldn't need to keep referencing the ruler. Set the grid to the units that the part leads are measured in. Either show the grid so you can count units, or use the position indicator in the top left to figure out the relative position.

Hi turbid,

post the exact part name (or datasheet) and I'll create the relay for you - accurate to 1/1,000mm. That's done within 10 minutes.

Boncuk

I wrote myself a little help file with the stuff I had some trouble with. Creating a new library element was one of them. Hope it will help you too

View attachment Tips and Tricks.txt

Hi turbid,

here is the promised relay (device).

The device was created using Eagle version 3.55, but should be readable by any higher version.

Tyco suggested 0.04" pad diameter for the relay. This seemed a bit too small to me and so I increased it to 0.055" (1.397mm) and a drill size of 0.024" (0.6096mm).

The relay should "fall" into the drills.

Creating a schematic and follow-up PCB all connections were correct.

I used the german term (K) for relay. You are free to change it to your national abbreviation for relays. Open the library and change device name for a permanent name.

Attachments

• TYCO.gif
    TYCO.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 259
  • RELAY-TYCO.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back