Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle Software Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

Was wondering, is there an option to make single sided boards, instead of the default double sided ones ?

Electrix said:
Was wondering, is there an option to make single sided boards, instead of the default double sided ones ?

I don't do PCB's, or use the software for them, but (as I understand it) it's a LOT more difficult to design a single layer board than a double layer one - so if auto-routing it might not handle single sided?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't do PCB's, or use the software for them, but (as I understand it) it's a LOT more difficult to design a single layer board than a double layer one - so if auto-routing it might not handle single sided?.
I've heard that in some circles if you have the ability to lay out certain circuits is like on a single board, it's like an artform...and almost Godlike if you can pull it off.

Can't you just design using one layer instead of two? And then specify that it's a single-sided board? Nothing says you have to route stuff to the other side.

Yes, I use Eagle 4.15
When selecting the Autorouter icon, you will note on the General Tab,
the option preferred Directions. Simply select the "1 Top" layer to N/A
and there you go.
TIP, set all variables (as per attached image) to MAX.

Attachments

• Route.gif
    Route.gif
    66.4 KB · Views: 184
dknguyen said:
I've heard that in some circles if you have the ability to lay out certain circuits is like on a single board, it's like an artform...and almost Godlike if you can pull it off.

Can't you just design using one layer instead of two? And then specify that it's a single-sided board? Nothing says you have to route stuff to the other side.

I had a Toshiba TV apart awhile ago, wow single sided and huge. had to be 12" x 18"

I don't get it, do you mean auto-route the board? Otherwise, there's no default number of sides, you just don't place any components or traces on the layers you don't want to use.

As posted by SPDCHK above, this works, I have done the same on some simple boards in Eagle. You will likely need to get creative in part placement, or end up routing a few traces manually. Last one I did I got it down to 1 unfinished trace autoreoute could not figure out, and moving a couple parts around I managed the last one manually.

The default autorouter settings for the free version is top and bottom. Just turn off the top layer (assuming you want bottom traces). Note that through hole components are connected to every layer.

I gave up on the autorouter. Routing by hand may seem daunting at first but it is much easier than you would think. And, I can get MUCH farther than the autorouter.

Here's how to make a SS board when you just cant fit all the traces on one side. Route it down to as few air wires as possible. then put a via on each end of each airwire. make your board and then put jumpers where the airwires are. if you are having the board made, you might want to enlarge the via so the jumper will fit. If you are making it yourself, just drill the right sized hole.

Phil

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I had a Toshiba TV apart awhile ago, wow single sided and huge. had to be 12" x 18"

Almost ALL conventional TV boards are single sided, although LCD and Plasma are getting more like computers than TV's.

A large PCB is a significant part of the cost of a TV, and using a single sided one (SRBP and NOT fibreglass) saves a LOT of money.

I opened up a DVD player here as well, with a giant single sided board and quite a few jumpers on it. There's a small daughterboard that looks like it's 4 layers and does the video processing, though.

I am with philba. I drag the parts over, autoroute (to see if they get close), then move them so traces go under decretes and chips.. Rare, but sometime (on simple boards) I will have to break a trace and I just drop a jumper or 0 ohm resistor in. But I never have turned off the top layer, will try that. I see top and bottom (red and blue), and print it on the laser it is all black, so same as single sided for me either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back