Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle slot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys

The first time I am trying this with Eagle...can't figure it out. Here goes..

I need to cut a 2mm wide slot in a double sided Eagle board I have designed. The slot is 8mm long.

It is part of a Spark Gap on the board. All my Gerber and Excellon files are good for the Board House for manufacture next year....just this thing I canno't get right.

I tried Milling in Eagle...don't know if that is the right way to go.

Anybody know?

Regards'
tv tech

**broken link removed**

Layer 46, but not all board houses can do slots, according to a thread on SparkFun.

John

Look at con-jack connectors, they have milling in them.

Hi kubeek

Thanks for you reply.

Looked @ con-jack. No help.

Where is Hans now??. The Eagle Legend here @ ETO.

His last activity 27th September 2012. He had health issue's with Lung problems and Asthma and all. I spoke to him in a PM just before his last post here. We spoke about everything. An amazing person who always did his very best at everything he ever did.

I prayed for you Boncuk. You better be OK. You are my friend. We think the same way. Perfection or nothing in everything electronic we do....otherwise, why bother ???

I have been so busy, I forgot all about you. Until I needed your help. Typical of people.

3 Months later. I feel like rubbish.

Your Friend,
tvtech

Last edited:
There may be a question about inside corner radius and what allowance needs to be made for it. The board house you intend to use can help with that. While it may be somewhat standard in the industry, it won't hurt to check.

The con-jack parts do not show a radius, so my guess is that the slot length and/or other dimensions were increased slightly to account for that radius or other fit tolerances needed.

John

Last edited:
Meaning what? All the four connectors in that library have milled slots for the connector pins, an as jpanhalt said they are in layer 46.

Thanks Guys

But has anybody actually submitted a PCB to a boardhouse with Eagle.... with slots in???

Theory is cool. Practical is better.

That is why I was hoping Hans would answer :D

Regards,
tvtech

Hope is not a good strategy for getting something done.

As I pointed out, based on the SparkFun forum, not all board houses treat slots the same. A better strategy would be to get clear in your mind what type and size slot you need (e.g., do you need it plated). Then contact your potential board houses and find out what their requirements and/or capabilities are.

John

Hope is not a good strategy for getting something done.

As I pointed out, based on the SparkFun forum, not all board houses treat slots the same. A better strategy would be to get clear in your mind what type and size slot you need (e.g., do you need it plated). Then contact your potential board houses and find out what their requirements and/or capabilities are.

John

Will do John

Thanks for your help. Getting everything ready here for the New Year. Time to think now and do things properly while Factories are all closed. No pressure until the New Year :D

Gotta prepare myself now to ask the correct questions to the Boardhouse in January. That's where you guys came in.

Kind Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
But has anybody actually submitted a PCB to a boardhouse with Eagle.... with slots in???
Yes I did and had no problems with it. But this allways depends on the actual fab you use, so send the gerbers and ask them to check them and confirm that they are able to make the board exactly as ordered. My boardhouse requires a text file with description of each gerber and drill files.

Thanks kubeek.

Wise words from you. Will check back here next Year.

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back