Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Ok, i just designed a board i want to make. How do i get it so i can just print it? At the moment, i got the layout done, but how to i get it so it looks like this;

**broken link removed**

for the top and bottom?

De-select all except the layer you want to print.
Select 'print' from the file menu.
Select 'black' and 'solid'. Mirror if appropriate.
OK.

Check scale and adjust.

De-select all except the layer you want to print.

Perhaps a bit terse :)

The bottom needs the layers bottom, pads, vias.
The top needs the layers top, pads, vias.

Your choice if you want to include the dimension lines around the board.
If you use the dimension layer make the lines .01 or larger. Use change width.

You mirror the top layer when printing it but not the bottom.

And always black and solid. Be sure your printer is set to max darkness/print density.

if you want to print that border, please move it further out, as right now it's intersecting the pads on the edges of your board.

also with your board viewer open type this:

run drill-aid <press enter>

a window will pop up, enter some small number, like 0.6 (i think their suggestion of 0.3 is a bit small), hit OK

this will fill in your donuts, making them easier to drill, and compensating for the fact you might have the exact size bit that the hole requires

Oh, i just found that pic on google. That isn't my board. This is the board i designed;
**broken link removed**

edit: oops, wrong image...

Last edited:
Now i don't know what to do next. I want to print it so i can do a toner transfer.

Which part do you need help with?

Go to View menu. Click 'Display/hide layers'.
A box will appear. Check 'none'.
Then check layers 1, 17, and 18.
OK
Select 'print' from the file menu.
Select 'black', 'solid', and 'mirror'.
OK.

Repeat using layers 16, 17, and 18, and uncheck 'mirror'.

A few hints on your layout:

Your traces are narrower than necessary. They can probably be 0.02.
change width .02 wherever it doesn't make them too close.

Your vias are smaller than necessary. change diameter .04

More: Your connectors will be extremely difficult to solder on "top". If you're using the auto router then block the front of the connectors on top. (Layer 39, tkeepout). It should force all of the connections to the bottom. Or you could make layer 1 very expensive.

Ok, i have no idea how to use eagle. My question was answered, but i have no idea how to use eagle, so i dont think i will make the board... I just kept all the defaults, and i have no idea what vias mean... :eek:

The vias are those green circles that would pass the signal from the red layer (1, top) to the blue layer (16, or bottom).

via is a little hole, that would be filled with a special metal epoxy at a fabrication house. for DIY, vias are different, they're a much larger hole, that you have to carefully line up, and then solder a piece of wire through

eagle is not the easiest to learn, but it is great software. your design isn't that complex, I recommend you rip-up all the traces the auto router laid for you and do them by hand. try to get as many of them using the blue layer 16 (bottom layer). only use the top layer where nessecary. set your width to 0.02 or 0.024 (24 mil is a standard width in eagle). toner transfer can do 6 to 8 mil but it gets kinda iffy - bigger is better when you're starting out. if you do need to lay a via, set the diameter to 0.06 or 0.07 and your drill to 0.035.

soldering anything except big 'ol ICs and some other random components on the top layer is pretty difficult. it's better to assume you won't be able to solder it, so that means you can't connect to it with the top (red) layer. this will make sense to you if you lay your parts out on a simple print out of your design - many parts cover their pins... with a fabricated board, the special through-plating carries your solder to the top, with a diy board, that won't happen.

Ok, i will try to figure out how to do that. If any of you would like, i will post the .sch file.

I tried to google around for this, but i cannot find any good tutorials that show start to finish. I did find a few good ones to show how to make the schematics, but no good ones for the making of the PCB printout. :(

On the lower left side of your design, you have a spot where a red trace merges with another at an acute 45 deg angle.

This can form an "acid trap" and undercut the trace. Instead, always make your traces merge at at least 90 deg.

Oh, i see. I will fix that before i TRY to make the board... :eek:

Hi Guys!

Is that Eagle Software good for layout? I haven't tried yet.
Is it free?
Can you give me a link to download

Thanks.

Hi I downloaded EAGLE Lite edition & did a test run.

I draw a PCB Layout but it’s not showing the actual size. When I click the ZOOM IN or OUT its zooming to its own values. BEST FIT also showing very big.

How can I determine the actual size?

In the board editor under menu view there is a function called mark. This allows you to set a reference point. Set it at the bottom left of your board and the dimensions shown in the top left corner (starting with R) are now relative to the corner of your board.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back