Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle Parts Search (4X3 Keypad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gayan,

I guess the reason for this is there are so many keys on the market which would fill a library of a few MB.

If you tell me the key type I'll be happy to make the proper design for you. I'm used to making packages with an accuracy of 1/1000mm.

I also would need info about how you place the keys in the schematic considering a neat layout. May be you want to place single keys at the proper location not to mess around with "twisted" nets.

As I understand you require three columns and four lines matrix coded.

Here is an example I just made.

Regards

Hans

Attachments

• MATRIX-SCH.gif
    MATRIX-SCH.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 3,023
  • MATRIX-BRD.gif
    MATRIX-BRD.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,689
Last edited:
Hi Hans thanks for your help.

Yep thats the only option to create your own custom parts.

The switch name is "PVA1R ITT Switch" in the "Switch-Misc" library.

But its pad is too small to solder.

Last edited:
Hi Gayan,

no problem with small pads. I can make them any size you want. :)

I'll take a look (hopefully contained in version 5.2.0.

Hans

And just making the pads bigger won't work?

Yes, it does. Changing size or shape can be done any time. Adding or deleting pads is impossible because the package is part of a device.

I know it can be done at any time, and if you want to add or delete them, just copy the one part in a new library and edit it in there until you're happy with the result :)

I added my own. I can post the library file if you like.

Mike.

Attachments

• KeyPad.png
    KeyPad.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,130
Here's the LBR file. It was made a while ago and so is a bit amateurish. It also contains a few other things that can be ignored.

Mike.
<edit> Had to zip it as LBR files aren't allowed.</edit>

Attachments

• KeyPad3x4.zip
    5 KB · Views: 1,981
Last edited:
I know it can be done at any time, and if you want to add or delete them, just copy the one part in a new library and edit it in there until you're happy with the result :)

So why do you ask if you already know?

w g!

Hi friends, everybody torturing keypads and keyboards,

the real problem designing a keypad (or keyboard) is the logical order of keys.

What I mean: a logical description helping in the schematic layout not to confuse keys and still have the schematic similar to my first design with a minimum of net crossovers and neat and tidy look.

I don't like it very much because it requires concentration on single keys as there is no clear definition to it. (It was a 5-minute design)

Within the finished schematic the keys look logic - but only, because the input nets are labelled accordingly.

So let's get together and think about a method combining any desired number of keys to a pad and still have the general overview to know from the schematic which key is meant to be addressed physically.

With other words: Where is the position of key Col15 (out of 20) and Line12C?

The other problem with the keys to be placed within a schematic: there are not many possiblities to name single pins using Eagle giving the pins a descriptive name.

Mixing up column and row connections of a key might have fatal consequences for the function of a circuit - and worse - a human life.

Hans

Code:

I didn't ask how to do it, I simply suggested that he should try that, sorry if that wasn't very clear :)

Suggestions for improvement

Hi all,

I've now designed a 4X4 key pad wich might be useful with an MCU.

It contains digits 0 through 9 plus function keys "+", "-", "preveous", "#", "*" and "E" for Enter.

Each single key might be placed anywhere in the schematic design for shortest net routing.

The pins are labelled in a logical order, so connecting the single keys to a matrix should not constitute any problem.

Each single is identified by its function, e.g. "5" has the label KB-5 and additionally pin information C2,2 and L2,2, meaning it is the second key of the second column and the second in a row.

Connecting the keys simply connect each key starting with the same pad number, C1,1 through C1,4 connect to net column1 and e.g. L3,1 trough L3,4 connect to net line 3.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Hans

Attachments

• KB4X4SCH.gif
    KB4X4SCH.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • KB4X4.gif
    KB4X4.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.