Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

eagle layout questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeNC

Howdy gents,

This is my first attempt at a dev board for a 18f4620 in Eagle. There are some shift registers, buttons, a 7805 and icsp headers. I've got a lot to learn and pretty much everything on this board has female headers on all the pins for flexibility. I'm using single sided positive photoresist boards, it's so much easier than the iron transfer method. Please give me your thoughts, what you would do different or if there are some blatant errors etc. The attached file is all layers and when i print the mask it would only have top, bottom and pad layers showing, I thought this would be a little easier to read. At some point I would like to get some dual layer boards, would be easier with layout i suppose having the ground plane on the back.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 18f_ver1_all_layers.png
    18f_ver1_all_layers.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 167
looks good so far. also there is a "MITER" feature that will let you radius all the sharp corners on your traces. its about the 9th symbol down;)

I don't like the rounded corners. It does look pretty. (to some people) I use rounded corners on RF connections and with ghz data lines. The traces are harder to edit, move, when rounded.

I would increase the size of the ground traces. EDIT, CHANGE SIZE, click on .1, then click on each line segment.

EDIT, CHANGE SIZE, click on .1, then click on each line segment.

I am also new to Eagle. Change didn't work for me. Any idea why?

Edited to say that EDIT, CHANGE WIDTH did work.
I need to do more reading to make custom library parts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I made a couple of changes and ended up etching the board. First mistake was not mirroring the image so i had to load the components on the trace side, makes soldering difficult with flush mount parts. Another problem was not allowing enough pad space on the power connector, the larger drill bit removed most of the pad, maybe two small drill holes for the blade connector instead a larger bit would work better to make the hold the right shape.

Otherwise i'm pretty happy with only my second eagle/etch board. Still need to add the icsp header and decoupling caps but so far all the traces have good continuity and no shorts.

I noticed that and the small traces on them. I usually make the pads larger if I can. sometimes I'll use the "rectangle" function and set the layer to "via's" and place over the original pad. Live and learn right:)

I usually make the pads larger if I can. sometimes I'll use the "rectangle" function and set the layer to "via's" and place over the original pad.

Good idea. That is why I was trying to make a custom 2 pin header footprint, so I would have bigger pads for my power wires. But not the 1/4" ones from the library.

Well I made a few revisions and mirrored the image. Here's a pic of etching halfway through the process. Any thoughts on getting the sludge and flakes out of the ferric chloride? Coffee filter perhaps?

photo (1).JPG

When I used to do it that way, I just poured the rest back in the bottle. Now a days I use the "sponge method" Where little enchant is used as possible, and your board etches right away. If you dont want to save it, baking soda will neutralize it. Otherwise just keep it in a separate container. I think after a while the heavier stuff settles, so you might be able to extract the non used portion (but its been a while since Ive used that method).

I've been using a small snack zip-lock bag for my etching tank...using very little etchant.
Nice job so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back