Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindrah

how do i route from a smt chip to a via?

I can route from the chip to a header,
but if I need to jump to the bottom layer to go under another trace it won't let me

I'm trying to learn eagle, but its soooo a$% backwards, every time I sit down and try it I get frustrated and quit

thanks for the help

route the trace to where you want the via, then change the layer in the drop-down box in the upper left, and continue routing. it will have switched layers and inserted a via.

how do i select a group of things
like the chip,headers and traces then move them all?

thanks for the help

evandude said:
use the selection box tool (dotted line rectangle) to select everything, and then right click to move them.

ok i got it
thanks

the thing i didn't get, is that you have to hit the move button before you right click to move them

lol
if i do things backwards it works

thanks for the help

well now i've gone and lost the library!

when i try to ADD PART its empty, how can i get this back?

thanks for the help

Russlk said:
At the top, click on library, then in the drop down box click on use. Next select the library to make it available.

hi Russlk
is there a way to make all of them available, without doing that for them 1 at a time?

thanks for the help

not that I know of.

However, there are an awful lot of libraries in there that you really don't need for normal stuff so it's probably worth your while to manually choose the ones you want.

spindrah said:
is there a way to make all of them available, without doing that for them 1 at a time?

If you right-click where it says "Libraries", there is an option to "use all". Select this option.

I have a question about Eagle's chip libraries. I've already found the generic ic-packages library and I'm looking for one that has the SMT equivalents--starting with SOIC8. So far I've been using the 555 package but that messes up my schematics. I don't see a library like this on the CadSoft site.

spindrah said:
I'm trying to learn eagle, but its soooo a$% backwards, every time I sit down and try it I get frustrated and quit

I feel your pain. Eagle must have been designed for another OS than Windows, probably Unix, or some kind of *nix variant...

It doesn't respect any kind of convention or standard in the graphical user interface. You know you're in trouble when a Windows program doesn't react to Ctrl-Z!... The right-click also has the annoying tendency to accomplish everything but what you intended :D

Microsoft publishes guidelines that can be followed to offer users a consistent GUI experience across programs on the Winbdows platform. But anyone is free to follow the rules or not in the software world...

Still, once you learn it, it's probably the best layout software out there. Other software just don't have library with as much depth... And Alt-Backspace isn't too bad a key combination to undo things ;)

I was annoyed by the fact that the component layouts and schematic layouts are separated into libraries that can't be moved around.

I might have 3 different TO-220 pkgs in a design using different components out of 3 libs which each use a slightly different TO-220 pkg.

Plus they're so bloated- I can't ever remember where a cap or MOSFET I like to use actually is.

I've halfway given up on Eagle's libs. I made my own lib and put a lot of common stuff like NMOS/PMOS in there with all the possible pkgs instead so if I want to change pkg I can do it without having to switch between libs.

Also handy because if I add a new pkg to a stock lib, it can't be merged with new versions.

Still copying is just such an inexplicable pain in the ass...

Well, I'll double-check, don't I've never noticed it there before. This is the free Lite Edition right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back