Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle Drill hole Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I have completed my pcb.But its drill holes are different sizes.How can I change the drill hole sizes?

I don't like to go every library & edit them.Is there any easy way of doing?

if you are making the pcb home brew, you can drill any size you like within the limitation though. unless you are ordering on a pcb house there is no need to change.

Hi Sarma I need to know in Eagle software how can I change the drill hole sizes?

In DRC "restring" tab there is no any drill hole stuff.

Last edited:
i could only change drill and it works for pads and vias, but not component
pads.
thus i used to mod few important components and save with some modded name
use them, like 0.25watt resistor. at this time i would increase the pad dia and drill dia

Hi Suraj143,

Eagle hole sizes are somewhat different from drill sizes.

A hole is a mounting hole (normally located at four corners of the PCB). It's diameter (hole size) can be changed at any time.

Component drill sizes depend on the manufacturer's datasheets and they are dimensioned richly in Eagle, e.g. a DIP-package has pins of 0.6096mm while Eagle sets a drill size of 0.8192mm - which is large enough to put in the IC pin and throw a parcel through the remainder of the drill.

When drilling your PCBs a minimum of drill bits is required. Provided your drill motor runs fairly balanced (no lateral play greater than 0.01mm) you can use drill bits of 0.6mm. For ICs (DIP package) use 0.8mm. (Using machined IC sockets a drill size of 0.6mm is more than generous.) The same drill size can be used for 250mW resistors and low capacitance electrolytic caps.

Diodes, especially 1N400X require drill sizes varying between 0.9 and 1.1mm depending on the manufacturer.

Power resistors require a drill size of 1.2mm.

Taking the most important drill sizes into account you don't have to change the package of parts for just one drill size.

(It makes no sense to use a 1mm drill for a part having 0.6mm pin diameter. It just makes soldering more difficult!)

Your assortment of drill bits should at least contain 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2 diameter tools.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hi Boncuk thanks for nice explanation.

But I need to make my drill size to 0.6mm in all components.

How to do that.

As explained above, you cannot change the drill size for components globally. That is, without changing each component in the library. You have not said whether this is for commercial manufacturing or DIY.

If it is the latter, there is a work around that might help. There is a ULP called "drill-aid". That affects layer 116 only. You can set whatever diameter you want in that layer and it affects all holes. If 0.6 mm is the same size or smaller than all the holes on your board, they will then appear to be all the same size. The UPL includes instructions for reversing the process, if that is not what you want.

1) I use it to help center the drills, so I use a fairly small setting like 0.3 mm.
2) If your board is being manufactured, I am not sure whether the manufacturer will even look at layer 116.

John

Last edited:
Hi Suraj143,

if you want all drill diameters on your PCB being 0.6mm you should check if components fit through them.

Electrolytic caps > 100µF normally have a wire diameter of 0.7 to 0.8mm, larger electrolytics require 1 to 1.2mm drill size.

Make sure that your components slide into drill holes easily, especially when using a professionally manufactured PCB with plated through holes. The copper layer within through holes is very thin (10 - 17µm) which will be damaged when pressing a part wire through it, thus removing the copper resulting in a missing connection.

All the best

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back