Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle board layout questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I have this board I am practicing on trying to learn Eagle and I have a few questions.

1. As the board is RF, I need to have a filled ground plane but for the life of me I can't find a fill tool. Also is there a way to make the router smart enough to know the filled ground plane is a net?
  2. Can I highlight and turn off nets?
Currently the long nets you see are grounds. I want to make this a filled ground.
Thanks

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Okay, point taken. Thanks for the link :)

I think from the link you gave I am getting the hang of it. Will take some practice though. Not quite the fill command I have used in other tools, but for the price I suppose it will do.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You can draw your ground polygon around the entire board, then it will fill any area that can find a ground to connect to.

Use the drc rules to establish clearances.

You can draw your ground polygon around the entire board, then it will fill any area that can find a ground to connect to.

Use the drc rules to establish clearances.

Now that's the ticket. Worked real well. Just need to set up my clearances and will be good to go. :) Thanks ... I can see that I still have some grounds that need to be re routed to top layer, but this was a good time saver tip.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

as I see you are also using the bottom layer to route buttons and relays.

Here are a few hints how to make the board perfect:

Repeat the same steps for a ground fill on the bottom layer. Select grid size 0.0125" and set mounting holes at the disired positions (hole diameter: 0.11811" = 3mm). Use layers 42 (bRestrict) and 41 (tRestrict) and draw circles of 0.254" around the hole positions using pen (trace) of zero.

Perform "Ratsnest" and have the groundfill re-generated. The result is a copper free circle around the mounting holes preventing unwanted connection with the enclosure when using metal screws and distance poles.

Boncuk

P.S. Also avoid critical (90degrees) routing angles. Twice 45 degrees looks neater and is error free after etching.

Attachments

• GNDFILL-SOL.jpg
    GNDFILL-SOL.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 193
  • GNDFILL-TOP.jpg
    GNDFILL-TOP.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 181
  • TOTAL-VIEW.jpg
    TOTAL-VIEW.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Thanks Boncuk. Your input is always useful :)

Thanks Boncuk. Your input is always useful :)

Thanks Mike,

always welcome.

I loved to live in California and it's people (seeing the sunny side of life), stationed at Mather AFB, Sacramento 1968 to 1970.

How is your "governator" doing? Getting well solving California's financial problems? :)

Regards

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back